Visibility into building

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Nigel_S

Visibility into building

Post by Nigel_S »

In last game I deployed a Forward Observer in a building, a position which offered good liens of sight across the table.

My opponent then wanted to fire on the observer in his phase. He had two squads 36” away that could see the building.

I was certain I had read either in FAQ, errata, forum or CoC Facebook group that you had to be within 18” to see into a building, through a window, unless the team in the building moved or fired. I remember the words from LardyRich along lines of “you become aware they are there, but you cannot target them as you are more than 18” away”. But I couldn’t find the reference during the game or since, despite a detailed search through the forum.

We agreed in game that a standard unit couldn’t see and target the observer, but a sniper could (better sights, job is to look for things like this etc). And that it was ok to lay down covering fire. But not being able to find the reference to being within 18” has bugged me since. So asking the forum.

One of the few blessings of CV-19 lockdown is that my 15 year old son has got so bored that a war game with Dad is better than another xbox binge. Over the last three weeks we’ve had 8 games, a practice run, then 29th Let’s Go PSC. My German’s holding on to the last table with campaign turn 7 to play on Monday. He has picked up rules real quick, and its great to see him focus then on the tactical side.

DougM

Re: Visibility into building

Post by DougM »

Nice work on getting junior to play. Can't answer your building question, although we play it as they are invisible unless you saw them move into the building, or they fire.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

18" thingy is in optional rules IIRC.
We tend to play observing is like firing because:
1.) Observers tend to give away position with binoculars, ariels or telephone lines
2.) If you cannot 'see' them they become invulnerable in game terms

Nigel_S

Post by Nigel_S »

Oh no!! I was determined not to be that guy who asks a rules question only to be told the answer is in the rules. And there it is s8.2.3..... thanks Truscott Trotter.

MLB

Post by MLB »

This is a difficult one. FOOs spent a lot of time seeking out good, concealed positions even when on the attack. Like a sniper they were good at understanding how not to give away a position. In CoC I think they are too vulnerable and should have some of the advantages of a sniper, if not more, given they do less to reveal their position.

The more I think about it the more I think the 18” rule for buildings is a good one. In many cases a building won’t be available or desirable for their location, so they won’t always be invulnerable. You could consider allowing a senior leader to activate a tank or gun to fire at a building beyond 18” once a ranging round or barrage had fallen?

The other option is to use the sniper rule to see if you have located the FOO. That might be simpler.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Truscott Trotter

I do not think they are too vulnerable they already have the officers 1 in 6 chance to kill but the other bad effects don't worry them as they dont have CI to lose etc.

From what I have read FOO were a prime target and heough binoculars were fairly easy to pick out. Have book on US ones somewhere will try and dig it out

Truscott Trotter

Nigel_S wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:21 pm
Oh no!! I was determined not to be that guy who asks a rules question only to be told the answer is in the rules. And there it is s8.2.3..... thanks Truscott Trotter.
P 70 is the 18" rule

MLB

Post by MLB »

A good book on the subject of a forward observer directing mortars at CoC level is ‘Accidental Warrior’ by Geoffrey Picot. Lots of descriptions about scouting out good observation position prior to attacks. Also good stories about problems with radio reception and transmissions in the close country of Normandy.
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

gcoops

Post by gcoops »

Not WW2 but relevant none the less...

I was fortunate enough to interview a member of the SAS deployed to the Falklands during the war in 1982.

He described to me how from a concealed position he called in an artillery strike on an Argentinian position. Afterwards, the Argentinians moved to a new position but as soon as they did, another strike was called. This happened several times.
He described his delight that the Argentinians were so confused, unable to work out how they were being so accurately targeted unable to see the oberservers.

So my point? If in the open ground of the Falklands, an observation team cannot be easily spotted, I'd say a team hidden in a building would be equally difficult to spot. Hence why I'd say they cannot be spotted unless within 18" is fair enough.

Sorry for the rambling reply!

Truscott Trotter

Yup no problems with the 18" rule myself.

As a smart player has 1 or 2 sections within 4" of FOO i (hard cover) to soak up the hits I never bother firing at them myself.