Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Truscott Trotter

Re: CoC FAQ

Post by Truscott Trotter » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:55 pm

I saw this question was asked but I could not see an official answer
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=165&hilit=Vehicle+flamethrowers
How many shots does a vehicle f/t get?
3, 5 or unlimited?
ds there any difference between those with trailers like the Croc and the smaller internal tanks of say an OT-34?
Does having internal fuel tanks make you a Ronson?
If not should it?

Okay, man-portable flamethrowers have a limited number of "shots", vehicle flamethrowers do not. It is assumed that they have sufficient fuel for the whole game.

Rich
Richard
Site Admin

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:44 pm

Re: Panzergrenadier force level
Postby Richard » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:14 am

I've just locked myself back in! Sorry, my Mum had a suspected heart attack last week and I have been away as a result. Back at my desk now and working through Mont's list of Q's. Between now and Crisis (10 days away) I should be around a fair bit as I am just building models for our game there. So shout loud and I will hear you!

I am really sorry, I thought Panzer Grenadiers had been address ages ago!

Right, Panzergrenadiers rock in at precisely +5 on the platoon strength rating. The MGs are powerful, but they do tend to become very static as a result of this. Scout them out and then deploy your force where they are weakest.

Rich

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:56 pm

One for the FAQ?
Minor Big CoC question
Postby mikebrn » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:30 pm

In section 4.3 it outlines the penalty for trying to bring on troops when the Senior Leader is already on table in the thick of it.

If playing big CoC with a separate armoured platoon does the same penalty apply for the tanks? Ie, if the tank platoon SL is first on the table I am assuming the other tanks in the platoon can still be brought on without the same penalty given radio links etc?

Mike
My feeling is that the penalty is there whenever a platoon commander is on the table. Once they deploy into the action they are busy thinking about multiple things at once and in any ten second period may not be distracted. Whereas, when off table they are more focussed on reading the battle and doing the command stuff.

So, in a nutshell, the rules are precisely the same as for infantry.

Rich

Thebigandyt

Post by Thebigandyt » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:17 am

Hi

What are the correct sequences for ambush, interruptions and overwatch?

Does an ambush act on opposing players turn? If so does it interupt movement?

Can you interupt a unit before it fires? What about interupting a unit about to fire on overwatch?

I can't get my head around firing out of the units activation

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:44 am

Hi Andy,
Both ambush and interrupt require the use of a Chain of Command dice so are less frequent occurrences than overwatch. They also all happen in different phases so don't interact.

An ambush can be triggered only in your own phase when your troops are active, not in your opponent's phase. It cannot therefore interrupt his movement.

An interrupt action occurs during your opponents phase.
Personally I am not inclined to allow a unit to interrupt an enemy firing after your opponent has announced his intention to fire since in real life you wouldn't know he was about to fire until he opened up. That's just my take on it though. You could interrupt and fire on the opponent before he declared his intentions if you suspected he was going to open up on you.

You can't interrupt a unit about to fire on overwatch since overwatch fire occurs during your phase, not the enemy's.

Hope that helps.
John

RichJ

Post by RichJ » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:33 pm

As far as I can see Overwatch fire is at any point in the turn and in the opponents phase but has to be triggered by an enemy moving into the overwatch zone.

We play interrupt fire takes place after the firing that can trigger that.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:01 pm

In respect to interrupt. It would seem that it is important when it happens.

Say if a British section is about to fire on your German squad and you use a CoC die to interrupt, if the German fire comes first then you could cause casualties and thus lessen the number of British d6 that are being fired at the Germans.

If you do it after then it is more retaliatory, and the Germans maybe would be firing with less dice.

Looking at section 5.1.2, the word immediately seems to be stressed. Certainly when you look at the example about movement this is clearly the case.

I believe that this implies that the interrupt fire is first.

John

pedivere

Post by pedivere » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:35 am

I hope this hasn't been asked before, I couldn't find anything...
here we go:
forward observers - I read that it doesn't matter how many are in the observing team, and armylist state obesrver as well as observer team, but still, it is still irritating, especially since p.39, 9.1.1 states that FOO are wounded on 4-6 and may continue spotting but not moving, however it does not state how many times he can get wounded, and an analogy with a leader doesn't work since a FOO doesn't have a CI.
what now?

french rifle grenades - this somehow includes the GW supplement too. So rifle grenades (and hand grenades) in the main rules are used individually. The french army list has the special rule that the VB rifle grenades can be activated as a team and fire all at once. Fine so far. The GW rules have hand grenades been thrown in a group, as the specialized bomber teams. But then there are rifle grenadier teams with four VB's (not only french), but the rules (p.13)state that they are used as in the main rules. Which makes sense (four CI to fire them) only if all parties fire them french style as a team activated on one CI.
what now?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:57 am

For FOOs, I keep it simple. They keep taking wounds until you roll for a kill result. So in theory they could hang around for a while but in practice that's unlikely since there is a 50% chance of killing them if hit. The fact that they are immobilised by that first hit also increases their vulnerability.

I haven't tried the Great War version of CoC, I'm hoping to do so this Saturday. I would have thought that the answer depends on how the rifle grenadiers were organised tactically in the particular army. If the TOE groups them together then I would treat them like the French able to fire on the same target for a single CI when grouped.
John

pedivere

Post by pedivere » Fri Mar 20, 2015 9:19 am

FOO - THX, that would have been my pragmatical approach as well.

rifle grenadiers - yes, all WW1 rifle grenadiers are organized the same way, so it would be the obvious thing to do.
My reservations come from the fact that it probably makes rifle grenades a tremendous pocket mortar artillery that can move and fire, with four grenadiers firing on one CI.

I am not certain if the mortar damage balances out the number of hits. The only difference is the target quality