CoC FAQ

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Laffe

CoC FAQ

Post by Laffe »

The official Errata and FAQ can be found here:
http://toofatlardies.co.uk/blog/wp-cont ... ta-FAQ.pdf

This is an attempt to collect answers to questions that Rich has posted on the e-group or on this forum, which are not yet in the official FAQ.

If you have an answer that's not in the FAQ or in this thread, please add it to the thread yourself, just copy the question and what answer you got in a post below.

Please do not post questions in this thread, or answers that are not from Rich.
Laffe

Re: CoC FAQ

Post by Laffe »

Activating units on overwatch or in a tactical stance added to FAQ
Measuring movement added to FAQ
Enfilading Fire added to FAQ
Destroyed vehicles moved to FAQ
Engineer and pioneer teams moved to FAQ

> > Text conflict between table 4 and 9.4. Table 4 says light mortars; "Close: LOS" and 9.4 says"They have a minimum range of between 12" and 24", depending on the model, and may hit anywhere on the table beyond that distance."
I don't see a conflict there. They have a minimum range, but beyond that you treat anything in LOS as a close range target, hitting on 456, and out of LOS as a long range target, hitting on 56. Someone on your side MUST be able to see the target.
> > Per 10.3 "If a barrage is on-target, the resulting fire will cover an 18" square area of the table with the aiming point at its centre." What do you mean by '18" square area', and how is it defined? Did you mean 18" diameter or radius?
No, I meant an 18" square area of the table with the aiming point as its centre. 8^D Don't you have squares in Boston?
> > Per 14.6 "However, all un-rallied Broken Units and any attached Leaders will Rout from the table at the end of a Turn, being removed from play." Leaders with nothing to lead. If an unattached junior leader's last team, or his full section routs off the table, what happens to him?
Is he removed? Is he considered routed per table 16? If not what can he do?

Not that simple. He routs off the table if he is with a unit that is removed. If he has moved away from them he can join other units as an additional man, but he can't use his command initiatives as they are not from his section.
> > Per 14.8 "If a vehicle commander is killed his crew morale level will drop by one level."
> > How does a leader get killed? Per table 12; 2 hits will wound a leader, so would it require two roll on the 2 hit section to kill him, or did you mean in the table the commander was hit and roll for result?
Yes, multiple wounds. Its a rarity, but not unknown.
> > Per 15.2 are Fighting vehicles (non-transport) considered support for force morale? Do Fighting vehicle leaders count for force morale?
Yes for morale, and yes for a vehicle leader counting for morale.
Laffe

Post by Laffe »

> Now it doesn't matter how many men are left in the unit, the chance of killing BM/Leader is the same whether it is 1 kill against 10 or 1 against 2. Not a criticism, an observation - obviously keeps things simple and quick.
>
> So 3 men and a Big Leader man receive 4 kills. Do you go "nope, he's dead even though you rolled 6"?
>
Not quite. You go, "Ooh look, he's been hit" and then roll for effect of a hit on a Leader. But yes, he must be hit because no bugger is left to take it instead of him.

You are right, the system is designed to save you looking for D8, D4, D12, and so on. It does mean that a Polish Sergeant leading a HUGE section has the same chance of being slotted as a Corporal Leading a section half of its size, but that's just the way it goes. The vague rationalisation of this is that if I am am just as likely to be trying to knock off their NCO whatever unit I am firing at.

Rich
JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

When to roll for breaking troops or routing leaders added to FAQ
Does that mean that if a team or section breaks, is rallied before
routing, then accrues more shock and breaks again, you end up rolling
twice for them?
Richard via Yahoo Group:

Yes. Precisely.
richard
Site Admin

Post by richard »

RONSON added to FAQ
Unpinning units added to FAQ

When taking casualties against mixed teams, do you determine which guy buys it at random? For example, a mixed team with a mg, crew, and a couple of rifle
guys.
No. See section 9.1, just below Table Six. It really doesn't matter who dies,
the LMG stays in action to the end. So you just remove any rifleman.

Cheers

Rich
RUSSIANS

Russian squad activation added to FAQ
Overwatch for russians added to FAQ
Russian scout teams added to FAQ
> Other nations the hits are spread Gun/Rifle. I assume this doesn't happen with the Soviets, and any kills are allocated on to rifles unless only MG
visible/targeted. Another man just steps up.
Yes it does. This is actually a bit of a bonus for the Sovs.
> Can Soviet squads carry out an Ambush?
No, Teams can, so AT rifles, MMGs, but no squads.
> Can the Bren special rule target the Soviet MG team?
Is it a Team? Nope.
If the order is to fire, can the squad split its shooting between several
targets?
Yes, fire at what you like. Again, this is in there, I just don't have access
to it at present.
If the order is to move, can the section split into different teams by
moving in different directions?
Only when each Team is activated to do so by a Leader. So, no, not on a 2.
Can you use the roll to activate a single team (if the section has
previously been split up, or if it is a single team unit)?
If you have a section which splits into two teams and they are more than 4" from each other, they are now two teams not one section and can ONLY activate on 1's. 2's are no good.
If the section had sent off a couple of scouts, would this be considered splitting the squad as well? I'm inclined to think not, but would like to hear your take on this.

I agree totally with you, because the two key teams LMG and Rifle are still intact.

> 5.1.2 Command points - Interrupt vs Ambush. Can an opponent 'Interrupt' after Ambush'ers have been placed and BEFORE they fire, or only AFTER they have fired and/or before they are possibly removed.
No, only after they have fired. If you have troops on Overwatch they only fire
after the ambusher has fired. Ditto if you use a CoC dice.
> 6.3 Random events 5) Rain - 'this turn' means 'next turn'? (as this happens at the end of a turn) and are multiple 6+ rolls cumulative on movement penalties, ie could you end up with -2, -3 etc for really soggy ground?
Yes, you could. What's the odds? I wouldn't worry about it. It won't happen.
> 8.3.2 Targets in buildings. Can heavy weapons (MG42, .30 cal. .50 cal) do 'Covering Fire' against buildings even if they are OUTSIDE the normal 90 degree
door/window arc? (ie, rounds penetrating the walls, etc)
No.

Hits on leaders added to FAQ
> 9.1.3 Firing on Overwatch. Firing at troops being deployed. Do you have to wait until after deploying troops have fired before you can react/fire?
Yup. As stated in section whatever it is. Not got them with me at the mo.
> 13.1 Close combat dice. To clarify, there are no extra dice for attackers with LMG's? (eg, BAR, Bren or drum fed MG42).
True.
> And are any advantages for US Garands in close combat, eg can they re-roll 1's like in normal firing. I would have thought that this situation is likely to emphasize the semi-auto bonus even more than 'ranged' firing.
No advantages. This is bayonet and entrenching tool time.

> -When throwing grenades, I guess I must substract -1 from the 2D6 for every point of shock, just like an AT-team would get? Or are grenades exempt from
that?
No, they are exempt from that.
> -Does covering fire on my position also substract its -1 from the to-hit roll of grenades? Guess so, but would like to have that confirmed :)
You're right. No.
> -Another confirmation needed: I do lose my tactical stance if I order the soldiers to throw grenades, do I?
No. It doesn't count as an action, so it is a bit of a bonus.
> Imagine a Russian squad has been under fire and has acumulated 3 shock... now the officer wants to break the squad in two teams, he wants to leave 4 guys behind to support his advance and he will move forward with the other 5
remaining guys...
>
> does each team created keep 3 points of shock?

No. You have three points of Shock. You can divvy that up how you like between the two teams so long as the total is still three points of Shock.
> and if later they rejoin and by then one of the two teams has accumulated another point of shock, so one has 4 and the other 3... upon reforming a full squad I would assume they'll keep the worst number of shock? so going up to 4
even for the team that was still at 3 since now they will all be back to a
single unit and probably shock is "contagious"?
Again, it doesn't quite work like that. When the two teams merge the Shock
remains the same. So if one team has 3 Shock and the other 4 the merged section
will have 7 shock.
> How do I "do" concentrated fire?
>
> Blurb says when activated a leader spends 2 points to allow concentrated fire
- great, but the squad leader only has 2 points, so how can this happen, as
someone also has to shout "fire!"
>
> So do I need a 1 to activate the team, (or a 2 to activate the full squad) and
a 3 to activate the Junior leader?
Yes. If you want the whole section to fire you'll need the 1 and the 3. This
is intentional as it limits how often you use your magic powers.

You need the following:

A roll of 3: This allows the junior Leader to direct the fire of the Bren team
with his two initiatives. Funnily enough this does involve him in actually
telling them to fire!

A roll of 1: This allows the rifle team to fire.

Of course there may be situations when it is preferable for the Junior Leader to
focus his attention on the Bren and not bother about the rifle team. For
example, if my British section is facing a German squad whose LMG team is down
to 1 or 2 men I would focus the Bren onto that team to try to get rid of it.

> > Text conflict between table 4 and 9.4. Table 4 says light mortars; "Close: LOS" and 9.4 says"They have a minimum range of between 12" and 24", depending on the model, and may hit anywhere on the table beyond that distance."
I don't see a conflict there. They have a minimum range, but beyond that you
treat anything in LOS as a close range target, hitting on 456, and out of LOS as
a long range target, hitting on 56. Someone on your side MUST be able to see
the target.
Per 10.3 "If a barrage is on-target, the resulting fire will cover an 18"
square area of the table with the aiming point at its centre." What do you mean
by '18" square area', and how is it defined? Did you mean 18" diameter or
radius?
No, I meant an 18" square area of the table with the aiming point as its centre.
> > Per 14.6 "However, all un-rallied Broken Units and any attached Leaders will Rout from the table at the end of a Turn, being removed from play." Leaders with nothing to lead. If an unattached junior leader's last team, or his full section routs off the table, what happens to him? Is he removed? Is he
considered routed per table 16? If not what can he do?
Not that simple. He routs off the table if he is with a unit that is removed.
If he has moved away from them he can join other units as an additional man, but
he can't use his command initiatives as they are not from his section.
> > Per 14.8 "If a vehicle commander is killed his crew morale level will drop
by one level."
> > How does a leader get killed? Per table 12; 2 hits will wound a leader, so
would it require two roll on the 2 hit section to kill him, or did you mean in
the table the commander was hit and roll for result?
Yes, multiple wounds. Its a rarity, but not unknown.
SUPPORTS:

I did consider the effects of fire, but on balance I consider them to be not at
the top of their game. The platoon is a family, you work together, live
together, laugh together, cry together etc etc. Blokes come in from another
platoon and they don't have the same confidence in the man leading them, they
simply go off the boil.

This is not about historical accuracy, its about game balance, so feel free to
dabble as you wish. Rather them as two support lists higher and count them as
elite if you will.

COMMISSARS:

In essence, a Commissar is activated on a Command Dice roll of 5. You decide
whether to activate him or to put the +1 on your Chain of Command score. So he
is set apart from the real military men.

They move as normal. Being with a squad they count as two men for morale
purposes - i.e. against Shock.

When a Leader is hit they may sacrifice themselves BEFORE any roll is made to
see what the effect is.
evillsvain

Post by evillsvain »

> Can troops armed with only SMG's (Soviet tank riders) give Covering Fire even though their effective range is 12"? I know they couldn't hit very accurately
for longer ranges but 6 or so SMG's firing at, say, upper windows of a house
their comrades are about to storm in, for example, would probably make occupants
think twice about exposing themselves.
I think that is a very valid question. Yes, they can. It is an area
suppression fire tactic and not one where absolute accuracy is required.

I think 24" would be top for that. 80 yards.

Rich
Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

Terms "Command Range", "Adjacent ( within 4") for fire and activation", and "Attached" in terrain.

The junior leader (with the orange dots) is in the barn, the rifle team has been broken up into 2 teams with a 2 man team on the 2nd floor and the remainder on the ground floor, the MG team outside behind a stone wall.

1 Clearly the Junior leader is with "Command Range" of 6" by measure. But can he command the 2 man rifle team on the second floor?
Yes, in English the Leader on the ground floor can command the Team on the first floor. In Americanese the Leader on the first floor can command the Team on the second floor. Personally I would question whether he could command the Team if it was two floors up, i.e. with an empty floor in between them.
2 Are all 3 teams "Adjacent" for targeting and activation by the rules? By measure clearly within 4 inches, but the two man rifle team on the second story is a move away.
Yes. Certainly. Again, if there were two floors between them then no.

A: I take a fairly literal view of this. If they are on the adjacent floor then they are probably within 4" and count as the same target. If there is a gap between the floors - say one Team on the Ground floor and the other team on the second floor then no, the gap will be too big.
3 Is the Junior leader "Attached" to all three teams? By measure all the teams are within 4 inches, but again the 2 man rifle team is a move away, and the MG team is -1 die of movement away.
Good question, and this has to be common sense. I think he is in influence range of the Team on the other floor but can only be actually attached to the chaps on the floor he is physically on.
4 For fire we treated all the teams as eligible for hits, this save the MG team's bacon, as the rifle team could take the first hit (my choice because I'm in cover). The cost of taking the hit on the rifle team was my Junior leader was in jeopardy for each kill. However, is the 2 man rifle team a separate target (depending on the definition of "Adjacent"
Yeah, totally agree with that. And as you clearly have worked out that is the advantage of being in cover.
Last edited by Tom Ballou on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"
hedgehobbit

Post by hedgehobbit »

Heavy Armour added to FAQ
Tom Ballou

Post by Tom Ballou »

Firing at armored vehicles that are firing pintle MGs. These can be engaged by snipers ( rule 8.1) or by close range LMGs or heavier MG ( rule 9.3.3 ). If shot at by MG fire, this is treated a zero hits roll, since the MG scores no hits. So any vehicle that makes any armor save is unaffected.

Per Rich; "If you're shooting down on an open topped vehicle that is different. I'd then apply heavy cover."

His thoughts on this;"Let me add a bit of background thought on this aspect of the rules.

In order to best reflect the problems infantry faced when they came up against an AFV I felt that a degree of abstraction was needed. I don't want the player thinking "Oh well, I will just shoot the bloke on the MG and all will be fine", I want him to think "Bloody Hell, I am in real trouble here" and then look to find a solution, which possibly will be indirect.

By indirect I mean that the best way to deal with enemy AFVs is to avoid them, kill all their supporting infantry and oblige the AFV to withdraw (Force Morale failure). I have tempered that somewhat by allowing LMG fire to be directed at vehicles in the hope of driving them off. I have allowed snipers to take out specific weapon crews. I have allowed grenades to be chucked into open top AFVs. All of these are more direct solutions, but not generally available. And that is intentional.

I hope that explains a bit of the thought behind making what can appear to be an unbeatable beast."
--Tom

Never drive a car when you're dead
--Tom Waits "Telephone Call From Istanbul"
richard
Site Admin

Post by richard »

Polkovnik is absolutely right. Indeed his comments elsewhere have meant that I have changed my plans and now have tomorrow as a day to deal with this. I hope you chaps will be around to assist.

Rich