Going Tactical

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Snotty

Going Tactical

Post by Snotty »

Are troops allowed to fire then go tactical in the same phase?

Allan JD

Re: Going Tactical

Post by Allan JD »

No, page 9 of main rules.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Nope they are both activations and you can only activate a team once per phase

Snotty

Post by Snotty »

As troops are allowed to move one dice then go tactical, that's two actions not two activations. So i thought maybe they could fire then hit the deck, it's still two actions is it not?

Truscott Trotter

No the movement of 1D6 can be :
1.) Just a move
2.) Move and fire at half effect.
3.) Move (even 0.00001mm) and assume a tactical stance.

So if you do 3 you cannot fire.

If you do 2 you cannot assume a tactical stance.

If you read definition of tactical in the rule book the reasons will be clearer?

Truscott Trotter

This is also on point from FAQ
4.5.4 Unit Actions Defined
Q: Can a unit be in tactical stance and overwatch at the same time?
A: No; it's one or the other. Tactical is a cautious stance designed to protect, Overwatch is an
aggressive stance designed to threaten. The two are mutually incompatible.

I suspect that the real reason is every team would do it all the time - if they could - so it would become meaningless

Snotty

Post by Snotty »

Thanks for the reply. I fully understand what tactical means, i've been playing CofC since its release. I've read on blogs and seen on videos people doing exactly what i mentioned and just wanted to find out if i'd been doing it wrong all these years. The rules have been so chopped about by people with house rules i guess that's where i lost the plot......Doh!

Truscott Trotter

Oh OK had not seen anyone do that myself, no you have been playing correct all this time!
I have a few house rules myself but no touched the basics of activation like that ......yet.

If anything there should be an option to go tactical after the first round of shooting hits a target - rather than standing with their thumbs up their backsides while men drop dead around them.

Snotty

Post by Snotty »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:24 am
Oh OK had not seen anyone do that myself, no you have been playing correct all this time!
I have a few house rules myself but no touched the basics of activation like that ......yet.

If anything there should be an option to go tactical after the first round of shooting hits a target - rather than standing with their thumbs up their backsides while men drop dead around them.
I quite agree :lol:

Cheers TT

MLB

Post by MLB »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:24 am
I get that argument but I think that’s taking a very linear view of what happens in a phase or sequence of phases. We do our activations sequentially because that’s what makes the game playable, when often what happens in a phase represents anything but an orderly sequence of activities.

I tend to think that everything is happening at once, but we as players have the luxury of watching events occur one at a time, one after the other. So when someone is fired at we think they are standing around doing nothing while other units fire at them when that might not be the case. The same way the phases have no length, some are quick and not much happens at all, others are intense with lots going on, I tend to think this represents different periods of time and different speeds of reaction. We still play it out sequentially but that’s not what it represents.

So, are my guys just standing there with their thumbs up their proverbial while being shot at? Perhaps not. Perhaps they are caught in the moment in a horrible and unexpected vortex of fire. As a gamer, naturally, I hate this, I want control, I want to make the bad men stop and I want to shoot back or take cover, but is that because I don’t think it reflects the period or is it just that I want more control over the game?
The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top