General Campaign Questions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

john de terre neuve

General Campaign Questions

Post by john de terre neuve » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:02 pm

In a campaign with Wild Cards, do you decide to use a card during the Support selection process or do you just invoke it suddenly during the game?

In a campaign where you are allowed to combine depleted platoons, the rules say that you can never have a larger platoon than with which you started. Take a 30 man platoon. Say if you have platoon 2 missing 6 men and platoon 1 missing 4 men. The 2 platoon combined have 50 men alive. You combine them to get a 30 man platoon, so you have 20 men in reserve. Do these 20 men just disappear or can they be added in further turns to make up the platoon to 30 men again as a result of any subsequent loses.

Thanks,

John

Truscott Trotter

Re: General Campaign Questions

Post by Truscott Trotter » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:20 pm

I would have thought there should be some trigger point on combining like getting to 50% on at least one platoon?

Anyway I would play them as lost (to another platoon/company) otherwise if you had them as reserves immediately available to replace losses then you would combine on turn one, no?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:33 pm

I would expect it to say in the campaign notes what happens to any excess men. Certainly in Operation Citadel it does. There the additional men are held as a reserve by the Company to replace future losses. However, in that case a platoon has to suffer 12 men dead as permanent losses before it can be disbanded and broken up to provide replacements. In your example this wouldn't happen because the losses are not severe enough.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:17 pm

To answer the first question ie
In a campaign with Wild Cards, do you decide to use a card during the Support selection process or do you just invoke it suddenly during the game?
That depends on the wildcard and what it says - I have never seen one listed in a campaign apart from Armoured Counter Attack. That one is used when the defender gains the initiative and chooses to use it in a CA - then I would say it is declared at the start of the turn before support selection. This allows the defender to choose AT weapons based on intelligence gained that enemy armour is on the way. YMMV

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:58 pm

Thanks.

In respect to the combining platoons, it does not say in the campaign booklet, but I think the Citadel example is reasonable and if need be I will use that.

In respect to the wild card, it is called Heavy Hitter which allows the American player to bring on a M1 ATG.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:16 am

Oh in that case I guess you could just play it when you choose your supports - do you normally keep your supports secret when playing a PSC?

Seret

Post by Seret » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:37 am

Yeah, just add it to your supports. Your opponent will find out when you deploy it!

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:55 am

Thanks again, We usually do not reveal our supports until they go on the table. In this case the Heavy Hitter (M1 ATG) never hit thetable thus my question in respect to when you make the decision to use a wild card.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:59 am

Just because a support didn't get deployed doesnt mean it wasn't chosen.

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:41 am

Just because a support didn't get deployed doesnt mean it wasn't chosen.
....was not suggesting that, I told my opponent at the end of the game that I had taken the Wild Card. When writing up my report I became curious as I had never played a wild card before and was not sure of the process.

So question 1: Can not combine platoons unless one of them has lost 12 men and any additional men (from the 2 platoons) left are kept in reserve.

Question 2: Wild cards are entered into the game at the support selection stage.

Thank again,

John