Minefield deployment

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

gsymko

Minefield deployment

Post by gsymko »

I think I got the Minefield deployment on a road edge down, but How close can you deploy a minefield to an enemy JOP.

Thanks

Greg
Truscott Trotter

Re: Minefield deployment

Post by Truscott Trotter »

You can deploy it right on top if you want - sounds bit daft....until someone tries to capture the JOP! :lol:
Also because it is only 6" square it will not stop someone from deploying from it
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

At the risk of slightly hijacking the thread, what is the point of making the minefield visible from the start of the game? Wouldn't mines be more useful as a "surprise" weapon, using dummy markers as well as real ones? I assume troops were increasingly taught to look for them, and to expect them when an enemy force had occupied an area for any length of time, and equally, there would be value in putting up minefield signs where there weren't any laid down, but surely searching for (and finding them - inadvertently or otherwise) a minefield ought to be part of the game experience?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
oozeboss
Location: In the Shadow of the Temple of Mir-Anda, Sydney, Australia

Post by oozeboss »

I presume that the assumption is that the Patrol Phase delineated possible dangerous ground in that phase, and all the moreso once they bumped into an "Achtung: Minen" sign (or appropriate Allied alternative).
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

The assumption is that the minefields are marked, as many were to avoid casualties on their own side, or have been identified by your scouts. Some PSC scenarios use a mix of real and dummy minefields. Their role in the game, as was usually the case in reality, is to channel enemy movement into kill zones covered by your defenders rather than be a surprise ambush.

You could create a scenario where minefields are hidden, but that is an added complication which could result in the game bogging down and ending in frustration I suspect. Don't see it adding much to our game myself.

John
Truscott Trotter

You could add them in as a support choice 1 or 2 point's.

Would make then 2" radius circle.

Choose AT or anti personel or mixed for 3 points?

AT hits AFV with 8 strike dice but no effect on infantry
AP hits AFV with 2 strike dice and infantry with 6 HE.

Write down centre point in secret before mission starts.

Bit of fun but prob not a game changer.
Munin

Post by Munin »

I've kicked around the idea of doing it like the off-table Marders in 29 Let's Go; you spend a CoC die to make an interrupt "attack" at any moving enemy unit. This works better for anti-tank mines, but you could use it for anti-personnel mines too. I might also give it a support cost as well.
Contrarius

Post by Contrarius »

Wartime photos suggest that mined roads were a thing — what we would now call IEDs. Typically they’d be found on dirt roads rather than cobble or asphalt. You see quite a few photos of armoured cars that have hit mines, presumably speeding along not paying attention to the road surface. My guess is they would immobilise a tank rather than destroy it but they certainly sort armoured cars out pretty well.

So, rules? Test for vehicles moving along the track. Any six thrown detonates the mine? Mine is spotted on throw of five? Don’t know how you would mark the mines though - without using a system of blinds.
Truscott Trotter

Position?
Measure distance along and in from 2 adjacent edges.
While your opponent is not in the room
simples 😆
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Thanks for all your replies, chaps - some food for thought there.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.