Campaign turns, help please

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

MagpieGamer

Campaign turns, help please

Post by MagpieGamer »

We have just concluded Scenario 1 of Operation Martlet and are trying to work out which Campaign Turn we are on. We played 4 games with the Germans withdrawing on the fourth, as follows:

Game 1: Lasted 3 game turns and resulted in the British withdrawing (25th June 0400-1600).
Game 2: Lasted 2 game turns and resulted in the British withdrawing (the Brits elected not to wait for the mist to clear) (25th 1600-2200)
Game 3: Lasted 1 game turn and resulted in the British withdrawing (26th June 0400-0800)
Game 4: Lasted 2 game turns with the Germans withdrawing at the start of turn 2 (26th 0800-1200)

My question is, is that:
a. 2 Campaign Turns ie one for the 25th and one for 26th
OR
b. 4 Campaign Turns ie one for each game, (which would really pile the pressure on the Brits as they have a win by CT 10!).

Thanks in advance

Tellus

Re: Campaign turns, help please

Post by Tellus »

It‘s option b, each game is one CT.

Peter

Post by Peter »

4 games, four campaign turns. Pretty sure the number of game turns doesn't matter - the 'five turns in one day' refers to campaign turns. The next game is played on 25th June, at 20:00, so the British still have the effective pre-game barrage. And having stalled for so long at Fontenay, yes, they are under the cosh.

Peter

MagpieGamer

Post by MagpieGamer »

What we find the most confusing is the statement (on page 26, col 2, last para) "There are Five turns in each day......"
If these are Game Turns it brings up the strange way the Morning Mist is handled. In our game it cleared on the morning of the 26th (ie Game 3) but if we had had exactly the same results but only taken one turn for games 1 and 2 it would have cleared by 1200 on 25th. Whereas the British Artillery Support is in effect for the 25th and 26th (reduced) regardless of the number of turns.

Eclaireur

Post by Eclaireur »

Magpie - am currently campaign turn 7 of the same campaign. My understanding is that if you were fortunate enough (as Brits) to win the first game on the first campaign turn, that the mist would still hamper your deployment in game 2 even though you'd be fighting that game on table 2 'Pushing On'. By campaign turn 3 it's cleared, of course. I think you have the right idea about the British artillery support.
EC

Seret

Post by Seret »

MagpieGamer wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:07 pm
What we find the most confusing is the statement (on page 26, col 2, last para) "There are Five turns in each day......"
That means campaign turns. Game 1 covers 0400-0800 on the 25th, no matter how many game turns it contains. The number of game turns in a game never affects the timeline in campaigns.

So if you've played four games you're now going into campaign turn 5. You're on map 2 and the game covers 2001-2200 on the 25th. You should have applied the British pre-game barrage rule to all games so far, and you get it for your next game and the one after as well.

Peter

Post by Peter »

To correct my earlier statement, game turns do matter, but only for implementing the Morning Mist rule. As Eclaireur says, morning mist affects the first two campaign turns.
Within each of those games, each British unit may attempt to deploy in the first game turn; if they fail, they can attempt to deploy in the second game turn; but not in subsequent turns in that game: the mist remains, but for the purposes of the game they are irretrievably lost.

Peter

Snotty

Post by Snotty »

I'm one of those always confused with this one :oops:

So if it takes me four GAMES to finally beat the Germans on Table One. Has this taken Four CT ? So now when i play on table Two, this is now CT 5? :?

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Snotty wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:58 am
I'm one of those always confused with this one :oops:

So if it takes me four GAMES to finally beat the Germans on Table One. Has this taken Four CT ? So now when i play on table Two, this is now CT 5? :?
Yes, each full Game uses up a Campaign Turn so you are now on Campaign Turn 5.

John

Snotty

Post by Snotty »

Great! Thanks for clearing that one up John. It's really quite easy now my brain has finally taken it in :D