CoC: Fighting Season Playtesting?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

ColinGranger

Re: CoC: Fighting Season Playtesting?

Post by ColinGranger »

Hey @tburgt

Thank you for links you put in your post.

Greets

Massrager

Post by Massrager »

real shame they don't just release the rules and worry about the campaign stuff at later date, my mates and I have adapted COC but would love to try these out....oh well 1 can dream

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

It was nothing to do with campaigns as such. Tactics / results in the game were too close to real life for the MOD - so I heard

Massrager

Post by Massrager »

oh bummer

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:45 am
It was nothing to do with campaigns as such. Tactics / results in the game were too close to real life for the MOD - so I heard
Yep, wot TT said.
Rich would also never release the combat part on its own because he saw the campaign element setting the political and diplomatic background to each game as absolutely critical to capturing the essence of modern conflict and asymmetric warfare.

John

Truscott Trotter

Yes doing a version for Vietnam might have been easier from that POV but then TFL already have CDS and an Australian player has developed CoC version for Veitnam.

Eclaireur

Post by Eclaireur »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:45 am
not sure you've got that the right way around TT - as Rich explained it to me a few years back, the MoD were quite satisfied, it was the wargaming public that he doubted would go for such a realistic simulation
EC

Truscott Trotter

Really?
I doubt wargamers would be put off at all.

Anyway not my cup of tea I just playtested it to help out a mate who was keen.

Was happy to play the 'bad guy's with jet black hat on 😂

Eclaireur

Post by Eclaireur »

Not my judgment TT, was the Big Fella's. An example he gave was that if you took a casualty, in many scenarios, the whole mission then changed to a casevac, and that many gamers might baulk at that kind of realism.
EC

Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey »

Take a casualty and then mission changes to CASEVAC. That is very true for a lot of armies, not least the Australians. I read a very interesting article by two Israeli LTCOL who addressed just this issue. They examines an incident in Lebanon where a company attack to break into an urban area foundered. The company launched the attack, took three casualties, and without any direct orders the attack stalled as everyone from the company commander down focused on evacuating the wounded. The tried and tested adage of win the fight and then tend the wounded is fading under media glare.