CoC: Fighting Season Playtesting?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Munin

Re: CoC: Fighting Season Playtesting?

Post by Munin »

If I recall correctly, the main thing holding it back was the difficulty in coming up with balanced and sensible campaign rules.

Kyrellification

Post by Kyrellification »

Yeah, just heard about FS in another thread, got me really excited as it was something we were planning on trying. Imagine the disappointment when I found it had fizzled away. Any chance of the alpha/beta version being released as a community test? Would love to give it a try

Len Tracey

Post by Len Tracey »

I'd certainly give it a go as well.

ProfH

Post by ProfH »

Even if it's not ever released as a full game I'd love to see an abbreviated version of the rules in a Lard Magazine. It seems like a perfect format for a "though piece" type of rules that aren't quite ready for prime time.

Neil Todd

Post by Neil Todd »

It certainly had a lot of potential

Kyrellification

Post by Kyrellification »

ProfH wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:03 pm
Even if it's not ever released as a full game I'd love to see an abbreviated version of the rules in a Lard Magazine. It seems like a perfect format for a "though piece" type of rules that aren't quite ready for prime time.
Perhaps one day. It would be a great excuse to buy some modern stuff.

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

Bearing in mind that Richard and Nick are flat out with RL, Far East, Op Market Garden and the TFL Annual, I don't think we will see this for some time. They are also developing another Infamy supplement as well as playing with What a Cowboy. We have enough Aficionado/Fan Boy scenarios/supplements coming out to keep us busy for some time. As Rich repeatedly says, "play the period, not the rules" which gives us plenty of leeway for making our own adaptations and local amendments.

ColinGranger

Post by ColinGranger »

I also have been waiting for FS, but it seems to be closed project.

In my opinion there is a gap of rules for platoon sized games in modern setting. So fully agree that CoC style battle friction would be desired in a modern setting.

Force on Force
is a badly designed game IMHO, as it is derived from small 1-2 US infantry squads vs. hordes of OpFor type game called Ambush Alley. While game mechanics was innovative and interesting (in year 2007) the game was not squad game nor platoon type game. Force on Force was an upgraded game from AA with similar problem left: for games with few soldiers it was not so tactically flexible (commanding 1-2 squads instead of individual soldiers) and for a platoon size it became bogged with chains of actions/reactions but also lacked of any chain of command rules and morale rules.
Not mention other flaws (i.e. ambush rules) and a lot of uncertainty in the rules. And while I like their scenario books, many of scenarios were just written but not play tested.
So played FoF for a while, but dropped it.

Skirmish Sangin - seems to be detailed but good rules, but not played much, so cannot give complete opinion. They're working on SS v2.0 now. But this is more squad level type game.

Black Ops - simple rules for stealth type games, but: support for this game (FAQ's, Errata) is dead, rules need some clarification and as official support is ended, house rules and own playtesting are necessary. Game rather for Stealthy scenarios, a splaying it for regular skirmish is dull. Also, rather squad level type game.

Spectre Operations — have a book, but haven't played yet. Rules seem like more movie/video game (CoD) style, which is not bad, just different. Rules are not overly complicated - more like streamlined old GW Necromunda in modern setting. It could be platoon size, but rather it's also squad size level game. For me worth playing anyway.

No End in Sight - while concept seems interesting, rules are not clear for me and some tutorial and examples are needed. Platoon size game.

Another option is to convert some SF platoon game like Stargrunt II (which is quite old system and needs some revamp for sure) or Fast and Dirty (newer game from author of No End in Sight)

here is a link to great modern wargame comparison, which can give some outlook:

https://www.hntdaab.co.uk/blog/wargamin ... e-edition/

Greets

Seret

Post by Seret »

poiter50 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:08 am
I don't think we will see this for some time.
Probably safer to assume we won't see it, ever. But you never know.

tburgt

Post by tburgt »

ColinGranger wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:43 pm

In my opinion there is a gap of rules for platoon sized games in modern setting. So fully agree that CoC style battle friction would be desired in a modern setting.
Not exactly very modern but have you checked out:
- the 2014 Lard summer special which contains a CoC adaptation for post colonial African games;
- the 2019 Lard magazine which contains a CoC adaptation for the Falklands war;
- https://carportgaming.blogspot.com/ for a CoC adaption of the Vietnam war

There are some very useful concepts for other "modern" wars.
I've been tinkering with CoC for Sci-fi games for a while, but Covid messed up playtesting.
Thanks for the comparison link by the way.

T.