Official CoCulator

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

PatG

Re: Official CoCulator

Post by PatG » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:38 am

Looks like Capt. Mainwaring is going to be re-checking his math. Thanks for sharing Rich!

agent_pumpkin

Post by agent_pumpkin » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:58 pm

Excellent, thanks Rich!
Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the kingdom of idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts.

Peabody

Post by Peabody » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:01 pm

Gents, I'm compiling all this into one handy reference, and will keep at it as new information is provided.

You can get the document: HERE

Thanks to the magic of DropBox, this link will remain the same as the document is updated and finalised.

For now, if you like, let me know of any corrections or improvements it may need. That would be much appreciated.
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here! Blog thingy.

remgain

Post by remgain » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:15 pm

Thank you Peabody!
Very useful!

Marco
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Peabody

Post by Peabody » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:31 pm

Glad you like it Marco.

Looking forward to finishing off the AT & Field Guns, as soon as Rich can feed us the information...
Television is rather a frightening business. But I get all the relaxation I want from my collection of model soldiers. P. Cushing
Peabody Here! Blog thingy.

bcantwell

Post by bcantwell » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:20 pm

Rich,

Thanks very much for posting this, where many would keep this as their secret weapon to get you to buy more stuff. You guys are the best.

I was just about to write to you with my Guadalcanal lists begging for some guidance on setting the force ratings...

And thanks to Peabody for compiling the info.

Brian

bcantwell

Post by bcantwell » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:14 pm

Two quick questions that popped up in working out force ratings for my Japanese.

1) Would you assign a Force Rating penalty for squads not able to break out into teams (like the Soviets)?

2) How do you work out which support list level to place infantry elements (extra squads, MMGs, etc).

3) Are the positions of some common support elements sometimes adjusted up or down from their "game table value" for reasons of overall force balance, historical availability, etc.

Thanks

Brian

Richard
Site Admin

Post by Richard » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:26 pm

Hi Brian

No, I wouldn't. In some ways it is a disadvantage but in others its an advantage (you can't have Teams breaking or Teams wiped out). So I reckon it balances out overall.

I use the standard list values for them, so if you look at List Four you'll always see the MMG tripod there other than the Soviets who get the MMG a bit cheaper as a small bonus. Unfortunately some of this stuff is an art rather than a science. :geek:

Uralus

Post by Uralus » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:09 am

Very nice!!! thanks

Adding 1 to force rating for extra command die does seem a bit cheap to me.
In my expierence that extra command die is worth more than that.

Rolf

Post by Rolf » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:47 am

Uralus,

From my experience of compiling and looking at these lists I think you'll find that the +33% for Elite includes a component for the extra command dice that usually is linked to quality Green=4Cd, Reg=5Cd and Elite=6CD. This works the same way for Green CD4 troops.

By adding/subtracting an additional dice it 'firms up' this correction and allows for split ratings such as Regular CD6 or Green 5 CD for example.

This all comes within +/-1 and that is as precise as a plus and minus list of factors can be in my view.

The other point worth noting is that collectively some special rule and multiple support list choice types can create an error of sorts when simply added together and totalled up. This can 'blow out' list platoon force ratings if this is not accounted for when making the final determination for a platoons PFR by adjusting up or down 1 support list cost.

my 2c.

Cheers

Rolf