Green Troops and 4 Command Dice - A quick and easy solution to balance 6's rolled with 4, 5 or 6 command dice.

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

GavinP

Re: Green Troops and 4 Command Dice - A quick and easy solution to balance 6's rolled with 4, 5 or 6 command dice.

Post by GavinP »

6 Dice IMO.

Another_Gamer

Re: Green Troops and 4 Command Dice - A quick and easy solution to balance 6's rolled with 4, 5 or 6 command dice.

Post by Another_Gamer »

Yes, for whatever reason the number of command dice rolled is related to troop quality. In fact, the CoC rules mention this on page 14.
The number of Command Dice rolled at the start of each Phase is determined by the quality of the force. Typically this will be five dice, although a very high quality force may have six dice, whereas a poorer force may have only four dice. The number of Command Dice a force has will be indicated in Appendix B, National Army Lists.
However, the Phase Sequence Rolls - determining the final phase in the current turn and random events - should not be dependent on troop quality, and this is why Richard modified/changed how rolling six command dice is treated in the game. What is confusing is why he didn't change rolling four command dice as well. We think that maybe perhaps so few army lists actually use four command dice, and the fact that even a lot of Green Troops still get to roll five command dice, it is very possible that it was overlooked.

When using the "Green Troops and Four Command Dice" rule in concert with the "Elite Troops and the Sixth Command Dice" rule, the odds of rolling 6's for Green, Regular, and Elite troops are now exactly the same. This is important for balancing the Phase Sequence Rolls (see 6.1 on page 25).

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Makes sense to me.....I think :?

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

Yes, when you bear in mind that six dice will probably roll a double six roughly once in four rolls, while it's only about one in nine for four dice, that's quite an advantage. The 'Green Dice' does level the playing field in the opposite manner to the Red Dice, giving everyone the chance of doing it once in six or seven rolls.

I imagine it was overlooked because few people play four dice forces, while a lot of folk were trying to justify six dice for their 'elites' for its obvious advantages. Nobody seems to mind four dice forces not getting consecutive phases, but others getting a lot of them is often a cause for complaint.

Another_Gamer

Post by Another_Gamer »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:16 am
Makes sense to me.....I think :?
TT, you stilll seem confused?
Arlequín wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:44 am
Yes, when you bear in mind that six dice will probably roll a double six roughly once in four rolls, while it's only about one in nine for four dice, that's quite an advantage. The 'Green Dice' does level the playing field in the opposite manner to the Red Dice, giving everyone the chance of doing it once in six or seven rolls.

I imagine it was overlooked because few people play four dice forces, while a lot of folk were trying to justify six dice for their 'elites' for its obvious advantages. Nobody seems to mind four dice forces not getting consecutive phases, but others getting a lot of them is often a cause for complaint.
Now its my turn to be confused. You said, "when you bear in mind that six dice will probably roll a double six roughly once in four rolls while...", but with six command dice forces only five dice of the six (five white dice and one red die) can be counted for 6s. If the red die comes up a 6, it gets converted.

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

I was talking about those troops that roll six normal dice, as defined in the rule book. Obviously by not counting 5 or 6 on the sixth coloured dice, then the probability is the same as when you roll just five normal dice.

Another_Gamer

Post by Another_Gamer »

Arlequín wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:22 pm
I was talking about those troops that roll six normal dice, as defined in the rule book.
Okay, I see what you are saying. After the official Errata and FAQ changes, I no longer think of six normal dice anymore. Just five dice and one different colored die.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Correct there are no 'normal' 6 dice forces anymore.

Arlequín

Post by Arlequín »

How many folk out there do you think are either oblivious to the FAQ, or are ignoring its existence?

That was rhetorical btw. 8-)

Another_Gamer

Post by Another_Gamer »

I know you are being rhetorical, but actually newbies to the hobby tend to overlook the idea that there might be an Errata and FAQ. Unlike more experienced players that tend to check even if a game is still relatively new.