1944 Free French Forces

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Truscott Trotter

Re: 1944 Free French Forces

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Anyone check the minimum range of the US 60mm mortar?
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Truscott Trotter wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:14 pm Anyone check the minimum range of the US 60mm mortar?
I think it is 24"
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
lebedo

Post by lebedo »

Ok, so too far to make it work.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

😔
lebedo

Post by lebedo »

Ok, so I dug trying to find what made Free French troops different with the limit of 2 national rules. What I found in the post war reports was that the difference with the 1940 army and the US troops was a greater ability to manoeuver and a greater resilience to losses as long as Senior NCO's were leading.
So I came with the following rules that can be applied to every french troop.
1) Abordage:
While they considered fire as important, French put more emphasis on movement and the need to be as fast as possible close to the ennemy so that you could close assault him. Movement was considered as the key to victory.
So, when a leader spends 2 CI to activate a Voltigeurs squad or team, this unit can move 2d6 and becomes tactical.
2) Ordre serré:
In order to lead their units, French leaders had to give the exemple. They had to be in front of their troops, not behind them. Most of the soldiers of the colonial or african troops hardly spoke french and needed leaders to show them the way.
So, when a unit is fired at for the first time in a phase and is in command range of a senior leader, it ignores the first point of shock received because of the fire.

I think it's à good and simple way to represent Frenchies without going in too complicated or numerous special rules.
What do U think?
Peter

Post by Peter »

Ordre Serre looks powerful. Maybe hit the leader on 'casualties + 1' since the leader is more exposed?
lebedo

Post by lebedo »

Well, they were not exactly more exposed by being in front of their troops but they couldn't stand at the rear directing the fire of the support weapons. The idea is to represent the fighting spirit of all French NCO's and soldiers in a big picture.
Another idea I had was that while in command range of a SL, teams could share their shock even with teams not from thé same squad. But that one goes against the rules.
lebedo

Post by lebedo »

Ok, I need to find something else....
lebedo

Post by lebedo »

Peter, Thanks for your idea. Look good To me.
lebedo

Post by lebedo »

OK, so I rewrote the 2 main lists : Infantry and Armored Infantry.
It took me a lot of researches and thinking to rewrite these 2 lists. I wanted something different. They are based upon AAR's, Manuals and books I've read.
What I need now are Playtesters.
So if you drop me your email I will send the lists to you in PDF so that you can test these and send me your feedbacks.
Please drop a mail to : oliviermoto07@gmail.com