1944 Free French Forces

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

lebedo

1944 Free French Forces

Post by lebedo »

Hi everybody .
I'm new here , just beginning playing CoC , but an old wargamer...I'm French , so I hope I won't make too much translation errors. I collected numerous documents on the Free French Forces after their rearmament in 1943, in particular during the Provence campaign . These troops are interesting because they're supposed to be like the American troops , but they're not , at least not completely. I'm in the process of designing them for CoC ( Milice, GMR, Fusiliers-voltigeurs, Mitrailleurs-voltigeurs, Commandos, Eclaireurs de montagne and the Canadian-American FSSF ) but my first question is about the leaders .It seems that not all of the JL are represented in the game , for exemple the us rifle squad only has 1 JL commanding the squad . ASL are not present , or can I model them on table ?
Thanks
lebedo

Re: 1944 Free French Forces

Post by lebedo »

Ok , so forget about it , I found the answer . ASL are not modelized in the game, am I right ?
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Genrally correct.
Some special forces like Commandos have them and of course rhe Italians...but then every Italian plt has a general in charge :roll: :D
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

That's right, most assistant squad leaders are not represented in the game. There are a few exceptions as TT says.

John
Emilio

Post by Emilio »

Hi Lebedo.

I am very interested in Free French Armoured Infantry, especially in Regiment de marche du Tchad. I posted some info in this thread:

https://www.toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/v ... =35&t=3607

So I would be very interested in the info you collected.

Emilio.
lebedo

Post by lebedo »

Hi Emilio , I saw your post and you were right. My infos about the french mecz infantry are the same as yours ,Steelmasters magazine serie of articles on the Zouaves portés. I was lucky enough to find the Steelmaster 76 on Scribd, in which each squad is described . One important fact about the french army is the language barrier between riflemen and their leaders :most of the riflemen did not speak french because they were illeterate and the indigenous nco 's were rare . This is particularly true in the infantry. Specialized troops used more french speaking men. For the infantry and commandos , I will use Gaujac's Books on the french army , as they describe the rifle and the commandos platoons. To my thinking , Frenches had to adapt the american organisation to the reality and the nature of their troops.
Emilio

Post by Emilio »

I believe that the "US organization" is not correct, and the french adapted the US material to their own organizations.
lebedo

Post by lebedo »

Well , they had to !
Here is how the French Infanterie Portée Platoon was . It's the same structure for the Zouaves ( 1st armored division ) , RMT ( 2nd armored division) and the RMLE ( 5th armored division ).
The French called the squad a " groupe " and the team was called " équipe " . Crewed weapons are called " La Pièce " .
The Platoon was carried on 5 halftracks :
1 mortar squad :
1 NCO, squad leader , rifle
1 gunner, 60mm mortar and automatic pistol
1 assistant gunner, cal.30 lmg and automatic pistol
2 ammo bearers, rifle
1 driver, rifle
1 assistant driver, rifle .

1 Antitank squad :
1 NCO, squad leader, rifle
1 NCO,corporal, gunner, rifle
1 ammunition loader, automatic pistol and cal.30 lmg
2 ammo bearers,rifle
3 riflemen ( voltigeurs), 1 smg and 2 rifles ; the voltigeur with the smg was european , meaning speaking french not necessarily caucasian,and the 2 others were indigenous . He was here to act as a corporal if needed , even if he was just a private.
1 driver, rifle
1assistant driver,rifle.

1 Riflemen squad ( Groupe de voltigeurs ):
1 NCO, squad leader , smg
1 NCO, corporal, ASL, rifle
3 riflemen, smg
3 riflemen , rifle
1 driver,rifle

2 Machinegun squads ( Groupes de mitrailleurs voltigeurs ), each :
1 NCO, squad leader, rifle
1 NCO, corporal, ASL, rifle
1 gunner, automatic pistol and cal.lmg
1 ammunition loader, rifle
4 ammunition bearers, rifle
1 driver,rifle
1 assistant driver, rifle.

Except for the antitank squad , each halftrack carried a cal.30 lmg and a bazooka that could be taken off board.
The antitank squad had a bazooka, a 57mm ATG, a cal.30 lmg and a cal.50 hmg.
lebedo

Post by lebedo »

In game terms, that could be :
1 Mortar squad : 1 60mm mortar squad, 4 crew with JL
1 Antitank squad : 1 JL, SL, rifle
1 Antitank team : 57mm ATG with JL and 4 crew
1 Rifle team : 3 riflemen , rifle
1 Voltigeurs squad : 1 JL, SL, SMG
Assault team : 3 riflemen, SMG
Fire team : 4 riflemen , rifle
2 Mitrailleurs-voltigeurs squads : 1 JL, SL, rifle
Fire team : 1 cal.30 lmg, 2 crew
Manoeuver team : 4 riflemen, rifle

The antitank and mortar squads can use their lmg once dismounted , with a crew of 2 , but they can't use at the same time the mortar or the ATG.
If the cal.30 lmg is fielded , the ATG squad will be divided between a fireteam ( 1 cal.30 lmg with a crew of 2 , JL, 2 riflemen with rifles ) and a manoeuver team of 3 ,1 smg and 2 rifles ).
For the mortar squad , it will be 1 cal.30 lmg with a crew of 2,JL, 2 riflemen with rifle.
Each squad can field a bazooka team , but at the cost of 2 of its riflemen who become the crew.
Emilio

Post by Emilio »

The cal .50 equipped halftrack was not always the AT one. At least in the 9 company Tchad regiment.