How do german troops using the Handgranaten rule move into buildings?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Capt Fortier

Re: How do german troops using the Handgranaten rule move into buildings?

Post by Capt Fortier »

I appreciate the concern about being gamey, but I think that really reinforces the importance of an attacker having to get within 4" of the other unit, even within a building. Its a hard fact that cannot be gamed - you're either within 4" or outside 4" - and if you're outside 4", you're not in contact. If you treat the defence of a building as an abstract exercise, it means issues like distance and facing become meaningless. But the FAQs cover these examples, including a situation not unlike that described by the OPs diagram, where it confirms that defenders in this kind of situation would not get the benefit of hard cover but would count as assaulted from the rear - provided the attacker is within 4".
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
donglewwe

Post by donglewwe »

If you treat the defense of a building as an abstract exercise, it means issues like distance and facing become meaningless.
A key factor, imo, is the scale of the building(figure) models used. If using 28mm figures (which I believe to be the case as the diagram shows a structure that is over 100' long?) then they're twice the game's ground scale and so the resulting play involving a single building model is most likely going to be an abstract exercise since the model itself is only a representation of the terrain in that area and not an accurate depiction of the exact structure.
MLB

Post by MLB »

Capt Fortier wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:16 pm I appreciate the concern about being gamey, but I think that really reinforces the importance of an attacker having to get within 4" of the other unit, even within a building. Its a hard fact that cannot be gamed - you're either within 4" or outside 4" - and if you're outside 4", you're not in contact. If you treat the defence of a building as an abstract exercise, it means issues like distance and facing become meaningless. But the FAQs cover these examples, including a situation not unlike that described by the OPs diagram, where it confirms that defenders in this kind of situation would not get the benefit of hard cover but would count as assaulted from the rear - provided the attacker is within 4".
I think the 4” rule is important and stick with it in nearly all circumstances as it’s clear and easy to apply if someone is attacking somewhere like a wall, hedge line or woods. This even applies with buildings if the attacker is outside. We are just a little more flexible once the building is entered and troops are on the same level. Once they’re in, then it’s on, unless it’s a larger building than usual like a factory.
The Tactical Painter
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top