enemy effect on moving a jump-off point

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

batesmotel34

enemy effect on moving a jump-off point

Post by batesmotel34 »

According to the rules:
Troops moving to within 4” of an enemy Jump–Off Point will deny its use to the enemy while they are in such close proximity.

The question came up in a game last night whether preventing the use of the jump-off point would prevent moving it with a CoC die. As referee I ruled that it did for the game but wonderhow others would play it. I would certainly consider an enemy captured jump-off point as being unable to be moved until recpatured by the original owner but the case of enemy within 4" seems less clear. At any rate after pointing out that the CoC die that would have been used the JoP could also be used to avoid the Bad Things happen test, we decided it wasn't an important call for the game which was in late stages without more troops that needed to use it for deployment.

Chris

Truscott Trotter

Re: enemy effect on moving a jump-off point

Post by Truscott Trotter »

This come up from time to time. My view has always been yes but the consensus is no you need to have a unit touch the JOP to stop it being moved.

7dot62mm

Post by 7dot62mm »

The rule is "Troops moving to within 4” of an enemy Jump–Off Point will deny its USE to the enemy while they are in such close proximity."

I read that as "the owner of the Jump-Off Point cannot do anything with it as long as this condition exists". That includes moving it.

Tomm

Post by Tomm »

I would agree the JOP is "pinned"

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Chris,

I’m sure that Rich has previously said on FaceBook or here that simply being within 4” of a JOP stops it being used to deploy troops, but it does not prevent a player using a CoC dice to move the JOP. To capture a JOP you need to have troops on the JOP, not just within 4”. The expenditure of a CoC dice to “rescue” the JOP is enough of a penalty.

John

john de terre neuve

Post by john de terre neuve »

Interesting I would have gone with what Eero and Tomm said but I will play it going forward as John and TT have said. Recently I have started to add this manoeuvre to my bag of tricks.

John

Bishop2K7

Post by Bishop2K7 »

I've been watching some old LardTV while painting lately, and tonight while watching game three of the Nick and Rich's "Taking the Gembloux Gap" campaign, this very thing came up! They confirm that being within 4 in. of an enemy does indeed prevent a JOP from being moved.

https://youtu.be/lSHjtLXHImw?t=7300

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

yes they both definitely seem to agree on that point