Where do you get your models?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Corvusboreus

Re: Where do you get your models?

Post by Corvusboreus »

I get my models mainly through online purchases, and opted for 1/72 (20mm) scale for a few reasons.
For me 28mm figures are a bit oversized in terms of ground scale (especially true for vehicles) and are comparatively expensive. They also transfer far less suitable for larger level rulesets like Ogroup.
15mm would have been a more ideal scale, but is much less readily available than 1/72, which is often stocked by generic toy/hobby stores.
Walk softly and carry a big fish.

Kipperflip

Post by Kipperflip »

jony663 wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:48 am
I play with 15mm, which is table scale using Peter Pig, Old Glory, Plastic Solider Company and Forged in Battle pretty much in that order.
Can you explain what you mean by 'table scale' please?

Corvusboreus

Post by Corvusboreus »

'Table scale' is lateral miniaturisation, the on table equivalent of map scaling.
From memory CoC operates at 12 inches representing about 40 yards (1cm = 1.3m)
This means a visually literal scaling would equate a 15mm figure as a soldier standing about 6 foot tall.

donglewwe

Post by donglewwe »

'Table scale' is lateral miniaturisation...
A big advantage to doing this, imo, is the reduction of what I term 'tabletop translation' = what players have to do to change what they see into decision-relevant information regarding the space/distances represented with the terrain/minis. Put simply: WYSIWYG is a good tool for streamlining play. If you can manage it, including the vertical helps as well. (see http://brawlfactory.net/2020/06/29/7-july-44/ and http://brawlfactory.net/2021/07/27/26-july-44/ for a couple examples)

Corvusboreus

Post by Corvusboreus »

donglewwe,
Jawdroppingly superb photorealism.
Playing with 1/72 figures, I have much more scale distortion on my tables, but I do try to detail them as close to WYSIWYG as I can.
It not only paints a more convincing picture, I reckon it also encourages the the use of small unit tactical formations.
Cheers for the links,

Slynx

Post by Slynx »

Our group opted for 1/72 (20mm). No particular reason other then that its well supported out there for many different armies and a wide selection. It was a flip-a-coin moment between 20mm and 15mm.
Metal Minis - Blitzkrieg/Lancer/SHQ/EWM (Early War Miniatures)/AB are just a few to choose from
Plastic Minis - PSC (Plastic Solider Company) and the new Valiant Late War Germans (beware of the rest of the range as they are on the big side, like a skinny 28mm)

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Corvusboreus wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 10:54 am
donglewwe,
Jawdroppingly superb photorealism.
What he said!! I'd seen some of this table set up before (you shared the long shot of the tanks before) but fabulous to explore the whole thing.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

Jim Dunnam

Post by Jim Dunnam »

I have Russians/Germans in 20mm AB Figures. Very nice.

I most recently gone all in with 28mm Offensive Miniatures. I could not be more pleased. At the present I have US Airborne, FJR and SS platoons, and am just adding their British Airborne.

They are along the lines of 1/56, so are not quite a big as figures such as Artizan. They are very well proportioned and interchangeable with Perry Miniatures. I don't have Empress figs, but I am told they are the same in terms of size. Blitzkrieg 1/56 vehicles match up very well. After a long time using other lines, I'm set on them. Of course, everything is personal preference.

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

Jim Dunnam wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:50 pm
I most recently gone all in with 28mm Offensive Miniatures. I could not be more pleased. At the present I have US Airborne, FJR and SS platoons, and am just adding their British Airborne.

They are along the lines of 1/56, so are not quite a big as figures such as Artizan. They are very well proportioned and interchangeable with Perry Miniatures. I don't have Empress figs, but I am told they are the same in terms of size. Blitzkrieg 1/56 vehicles match up very well. After a long time using other lines, I'm set on them. Of course, everything is personal preference.
Good to know, I had the impression they were larger for some reason, but that will fit in nicely!

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Nope they fit with Empress at 1/56th rather than Warlord at 28mm