Ways to run soviet commisars?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

General Berling

Ways to run soviet commisars?

Post by General Berling »

So the rulebook itself doesn't specify it so I'm going to ask here,
How should I run them in 1943 and 1945?
I know there's ways of running them specified in different books however I cant currently get my hands on any, so how should I go about this?
Thanks.
Ja syn ludu polskiego, antifascista, przysięgam, ze do ostatnich sil walcyc bende o niepodleglosc ojczysny.
Levi the Ox

Re: Ways to run soviet commisars?

Post by Levi the Ox »

Through 1941 and the first half of 1942 they are co-commanders, and I treat them as an additional Senior Leader (sometimes an Inferior one with only two CI). They are removed from that role in August of '42 and from then on would essentially be an Adjutant in game terms unless your scenario calls for them to be on the table for some reason.

If you're looking for a specific morale effect, a once-per-game removal of d6 shock seems appropriate, given the parallel to the Drinks Cabinet (Blitzkrieg 1940) and Holy Man (Sharp Practice). Alternately, they could confer Aggressive to the unit they join.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

In 43 onwards would treat as inferior SL that can once a game remove D6 shock, with maybe a roll of 6 meaning he shoots one man as well 😃

Alternatively counts as 3 men for pinning

My person fav is he temp negates the effect of 4 shock while he is with the squad keeps em moving

Read in a book today that in Stalingrad they ran combat courses for them so the men would respect them!
siggian

Post by siggian »

I have played that they add a +2 on the initial force morale and otherwise have no effect.
Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter »

siggian wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 2:04 pm I have played that they add a +2 on the initial force morale and otherwise have no effect.
That's reasonable...except you dont get to put the wonderfully painted model on the table. :P
Kogle

Post by Kogle »

It is debatable whether commissars should be on the table at all in a platoon level game such as CoC. However, we are probably influenced by the characterful use of commissars in movies and literature and feel compelled to infuse a bit of dramatis personae to our games. I mean, who doesn’t love Ralph Fiennes wonderful portray of commissar Danilov in Enemy at the Gates or Neil Patrick Harris' futuristic equivalent in Starship Troopers. Similarly, I suspect a lot of us have also played with the futuristic grim dark version of commissars in that other wargame by Games Workshop. So, I think the real question here is; do you want to play a historically accurate wargame or do you (like me) enjoy playing the dramatized version of WW2.

Personally, I just think the models available and potential to do characterful paintjobs is too great to miss and so would like to see the commissar on the table, where I feel they should be inferior SL's. Likewise, I think there is enough of a backstory to make a full campaign where a given commissar has ordered a platoon of soviet soldiers to embark on a great heroic conquest for the motherland, that will probably see them all dead (but highly decorated), in which case he could boost morale or support points.
Last edited by Kogle on Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baldie

Post by Baldie »

Cain plays in several of my games of COC, BA and VBCW.
Even with no special rules I think comissars are such a story to be told they deserve a place in my games.

My particular Cain survived 34 games before getting beaten up by a cruel enemy.
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.
Guadalcanal Diarrhea

Post by Guadalcanal Diarrhea »

For his Support cost I buy something equally Russian-themed instead: A Maxim MMG Team...💯
"One hundred rounds do not constitute firepower. One hit constitutes firepower..."~ Col. Merritt Edson, 1st Raider Battalion, U.S.M.C
Baldie

Post by Baldie »

Commisar MMG
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.
jony663

Post by jony663 »

Were commissars attached at the platoon, company or battalion level? Sorry for the rookie question.