Handling Turns different

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Comecon

Handling Turns different

Post by Comecon »

This has been a popular change in the rules in our local games. We usually play asymmetric scenarios for one evening rather than campaigns, and som we have need for a system that end the game turns.

Usually the attacker will have 6 more support and 3-4 turns to complete his objectives. This is normally 3 points at the defenders edge of the table (determined before patrol).

At first we ended turns with CoC dice or rolls of 3+ 6, but this took away an important part of the game as there usually where no ambushes, interrupts ect. So now we use this rule for turn change:

Turnover:

Every time a player rolls a ”6” on their command dice this will be noted (usually by using an extra large D6). When the player has noted 6+ points they can chose to end the turn. They will then play the phase and the turn will end, just as if they had rolled a turnover. If they chose to not end the turn their notes will go back to ”1”.

CoC dice may not be used to end turns

Command dice rolls of 3 or more ”6” will still end the turn as normal

Truscott Trotter

Re: Handling Turns different

Post by Truscott Trotter »

Interesting idea. It's always.been a problem using turns to measure time in CoC scenarios.

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

Tracking elapsed time in wargames, especially small-scale ones, has always been tricky. Your idea reminds me of the "moving clock" from Crossfire, which has a similarly variable length of turn.

For demo games and such, I got in the habit of using the passage of real-world time rather than mechanic, so I knew we would get to that point within the allotted time for the game. Ex. for Crete, "You have 1 hour to capture or knock out the AAA battery before the next wave of paratroopers arrive."

redmist1122

Post by redmist1122 »

I love playing games with a "real" objective/mission to it; which why I really enjoy all those scenarios from the TFLs Specials and LardMags. There are some games and campaigns which call for turns to passed to release supports or what not, which is beautifully designed by ending the turn with 3 sixes or CoC die. Plus an "end-turn" has a different meaning as like all the TFLs game systems...its a pause in the battle essentially.

I'm not a fan of any rules modifications, as it changes the flavor of the game from its original state. Once you start with game modifications, it will never end...there are a ton of posts here talking about game modications because someone didn't like the rule as written.

Bottom line, your game, your rules. Have fun!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Comecon

Post by Comecon »

well, each to his own. The model is used to prevent the CoC-dice being stored for only scenario purposes (as anything else would be stupid in scenarios where you win by ending the game).

CoC is a nice system but more adapted to campains than a single game. The attacker can easy wait out the defender and use their superior SP to great advantage as most games can go on forever (this can also make the game rather slow).

A variant we tried in the beginning was mission cards, with harder goals for the attacker (occupy this building, move a car there before turn 3, save Ryanski ect). We still use them sometimes but this mod in combination with objective points has been the most popular.

Truscott Trotter

Consider the idea stolen.
I am also writing some campaigns where a time sensitive mission would fit in.

Munin

Post by Munin »

Time sensitivity works better across multiple scenarios in a campaign than it does within a single scenario. Although that said, I think that the Blitzkrieg scenario in the 1940 handbook does a decent job of reflecting a time pressure.

Truscott Trotter

It does, guess I am used to Flames of War and Bolt Action missions where tome restrictions are normal.

Comecon

Post by Comecon »

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:03 pm
Consider the idea stolen.
I am also writing some campaigns where a time sensitive mission would fit in.
nice, i hope to see your campaigns in the future :)

Dbsubashi

Post by Dbsubashi »

Last year my gaming group ran the 75th Anniversary of the Western front from D-Day through MarketGarden. One of the first rules I laid out was the if the attacker hadn’t won be the time the owner of our FLGS called time, they had lost. Since we started around 6 pm, and last call was around 11 pm, that gave about 4 1/2 hours to set up a game and finish it, which should be enough time for anyone. We played through several PSC’s, one-offs, pick up games, group Big CoC games and 9 weeks of a Market Garden group campaign, and the rule served us well.