The Falaise Pocket: a Chain of Command Solo AAR

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

BaronVonWreckedoften

Re: The Falaise Pocket: a Chain of Command Solo AAR

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Abwehrschlacht wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:11 am
Personally, I think it works best with 15mm, 28mm just seemed to crowded to me, especially when you have vehicles involved.
Equally, this can also work the other way. MLB (The Tactical Painter) and I have had an interesting discussion about this after he started to refight the France 1940 PSC that Lardies Rich and Nick fought on Lard TV. MLB uses 20mm or 1/72, whilst Richard uses 28mm or 1/56, and the different "look" of the table from one size/scale to the other - especially in relation to how far the Germans had to move to get across the open fields in Scenario 1 - was very (as in massively!) noticeable, and I suggested it might have been part of the reason his (German) forces failed.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Abwehrschlacht

Post by Abwehrschlacht »

But the distances moved should be the same, ie dice rolls? Unless you mean from a psychological POV? The latter I can understand as the board looks big in 15mm, but it's just a case of what I am used to anyway.

Baldie

Post by Baldie »

Had a look through my spares and have a late war German and Soviet force sorted.
Bit of re basing and painting to do but easy enough.

Ps 28mm still rules!
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.

Abwehrschlacht

Post by Abwehrschlacht »

Good man!

donglewwe

Post by donglewwe »

Tangential hijack, re: 15mm v 28mm table
But the distances moved should be the same, ie dice rolls?
The impact comes from the sizes of the terrain models themselves. While they may both be placed at the same locations, the girth of the 28mm stuff makes quite a difference. This is most noticeable with buildings, but also with linear features such as roads and hedges: By occupying twice the footprint on the table they shrink the open space between them noticeably. Even the larger figure bases contribute: A 28mm figure will stand around 1/2" closer to a feature such as a hedge, which may itself be another 1/2" wider - that extra inch could be the difference between being in or out of cover. Add it up across a terrain-crowded table and it has an effect - especially for those of us who always seem to roll 'not quite enough' on the movement dice!

Abwehrschlacht

Post by Abwehrschlacht »

Ah, yes, now I get you. This is perhaps why I think a 28mm table looks too crowded.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Sorry, I hadn't spotted your reply to my earlier post; however, donglewwe has pretty much nailed it.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

MLB

Post by MLB »

Here’s a comparison of the same Gembloux Gap tables in 20mm and 28mm. Note how the wheat fields and open spaces differ in size. In the TFL videos Rich’s Germans crossed these in a single phase of movement (although in one case he went at the double which shouldn’t be allowed on broken ground but hey....). In 20mm these fields are at least 24” which with average movement of 6-8” will take 3-4 phases to cross.

The Tactical Painter https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com
Painting little soldiers for tactical battles on the table top

Abwehrschlacht

Post by Abwehrschlacht »

Great looking tables. Yeah, I understand the disparity in the scales, but I am used to playing in 15mm anyway so to me the distances have no impact, either physically or psychologically, as it's all I know!

Baldie

Post by Baldie »

Abwehrschlacht wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:39 am
Great looking tables. Yeah, I understand the disparity in the scales, but I am used to playing in 15mm anyway so to me the distances have no impact, either physically or psychologically, as it's all I know!
Dont worry we will wear you down.
Interests

Getting slaughtered by a surprising amount of opponents.