Sherman Flail/other mine clearing additions

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

SteveC

Sherman Flail/other mine clearing additions

Post by SteveC »

There was a discussion a couple of years back that a search turned up but no clear conclusion as to whether you should combine the basic support cost of the tank and add 1, being the cost of the equivalent mine clearing team.

Having added a Sherman Flail and a bull's horn plough to my arsenal (both by S&S Models), would be nice to be able to use them, scenario and support points permitting of course!

batesmotel34

Re: Sherman Flail/other mine clearing additions

Post by batesmotel34 »

The easiest solution would be to reach an agreement with your potential opponents for how to cost it on top of the base vehicle cost. 1-2 points would seem reasonable IMHO.

Chris

siggian

Post by siggian »

Probably no shooting through the front arc while the thing is flailing. I'd be tempted to not allow any shooting at all while the flail is operating as the commander will be busy concentrating on directing the driver where to go. The driver would likely be completely blinded by the dust and flying debris.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is there any chance that the flail/debris would prematurely detonate the round?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

siggian

Post by siggian »

The more relevant question might be whether the tank crew believed it was possible.

JimLeCat

Post by JimLeCat »

Given that the turret was normally rotated 180 degrees before flailing, IIRC, none whatsoever. The only likely targets are not ones you would want to shoot at though!

In any case, there is no way they could see to shoot at anything to their front.

SteveC

Post by SteveC »

The driver's periscope had a shield over it but that wouldn't have helped with vision, only minimising 'collateral' damage. It should only drive forward in a straight line - no change of direction as neither the driver or command could see beyond the front of the hull, though I'd suspect it would wander a bit off the intended route just because of the effort required by the driver to keep it 'on the straight and narrow'.

I'd thought that when active the flail's progress would be 1D6 max, so clearing a path through the standard minefield likely to take 2 or 3 phases as a minimum, especially as it wouldn't start exactly on the edge of the minefield but a couple inches back and it shouldn't stop until it's similarly clear on the other side. Then it will need to rotate it's turret back into the front arc before it can be a 'normal' Sherman. So, back to my original question, I'd say a flail would be a +1 to the Support Points cost of a 75mm Sherman.

The bulls horn plough, as used by Churchills, doesn't limit the actions of the main armament, though I'd suspect it was a slower method than the flail.