Selecting British Airborne Section with 2 LMGs from Support list?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Archdukek

Re: Selecting British Airborne Section with 2 LMGs from Support list?

Post by Archdukek » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:33 pm

batesmotel34 wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:53 pm
So how about for 1943 Soviets for the Kursk campaigns. Their platoons have 2 sections with 1 LMG and 2 sections with 2 LMG. Obviously the 2 LMG sections would seem the better option in general. (They're all 8 men plus JL sections.) I'd certainly go for one of each if buying 2 sections.

Chris
I would too. Though in the context of that campaign I wouldn't object to the the Soviet making the 2 LMG squad their first choice since that's the option available to their panzergrenadier opponents in this case.

John

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:40 pm

Hi Steve,
I'd agree that the support option in the US list is intended to be the standard rifle squad from an infantry battalion. The rifle squad in the Armoured Rifle platoon is the nearest equivalent, but I certainly wouldn't object to the selection of the other available options from within the Company provided that the support cost reflected their value on the Coculator give or take.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:48 pm

The problem I foresee is the coculator costs out the basic core platoon differently than the support points cost.

I discovered this when making my own lists were smg and lmg as suppprts were significantly more expensive than as part of a platoon.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:02 pm

Truscott Trotter wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:48 pm
The problem I foresee is the coculator costs out the basic core platoon differently than the support points cost.

I discovered this when making my own lists were smg and lmg as suppprts were significantly more expensive than as part of a platoon.
Yes and that's deliberate. It's more expensive to draw on supports from elsewhere within the Company or battalion.

John

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:18 pm

So we need a supportolator or just do what I suspect Rich does and add a point if they are better than standard?

Steve McG

Post by Steve McG » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:08 pm

I also agree that some options are cheaper within the Platoon than when bought as a support. A glaring example are Snipers. According to the coculator this costs 3 points making it a notional "List 1". But this is always a List 3 Support. But it also goes the other way where the German "4 man Recon Team" (JL +LMG + 2 Riflemen + SdKfz 250 !!) is ONLY on List 3. So sometimes it is CHEAPER to get supports than within the Platoon.

I do like what Archdukek says that there should be no problem to select "the other available options from within the Company provided that the support cost reflected their value on the Coculator give or take".

The question what is reasonable and fair as we "give or take". Clearly there are times where the cost of a support is based on the cost of similar supports in their opponents. A possible example is the Panzerschreck. List 2 !!! - same as the Bazooka but with way more firepower. (Based on effectiveness AND availability this should be List 3 or 4 IMHO - but that is for a different thread).

This part of the thread started as John Bond asked what to do about the MG Squad. An equivalent unit is Panzer Grenadiers they are clearly List 5. These have 5 Riflemen which the US MG Squad does not. This gives them 5 dice more firepower with the same number of men. It also allows scout teams to used which allows more tactical flexibility. So with our "Give and Take" does List 4 sound about right for the MG Squad ?

Steve
There's a fundamental truth to our nature. Man must explore. ... Neil Armstrong

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:22 pm

Is not list 4 the same as a normal rifle squad support?

Steve McG

Post by Steve McG » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:36 pm

TT,

YUP … both 20 points. The Rifle Squad has 2 x SMG's so it can belt out 18 Dice of Firepower at very close ranges … with re-rolls on 1s for the semi autos of course.

Truscott Trotter

Post by Truscott Trotter » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:02 am

No what I am saying is that all support sections should be proportionally costed the same. ATM a 18/19 point section costs 4 and you are saying Brit Paras at 25 points cost 4?
The question is i guess at what point level do you go up 1 or 2 support points?
In BK a German section with 2 LMG or bikes goes in at 5 points not 4
But a pioneer section goes in at 4

Steve McG

Post by Steve McG » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:32 am

TT,

Righto - No worries.

I am using the Excel Spreadsheet which was made available a little while back. So it breaks the levels of lists as follows (I think but I may be corrected):

1-6 pts = List 1
7-12 pts = List 2
13-18pts = List 3
18-24 pts = List 4
25-30 pts = List 5
31- 36 pts = List 6
etc

This works very BTW

Steve