Before I walk the plank.....

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Paul7926

Before I walk the plank.....

Post by Paul7926 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:11 pm

Hello maritime types.

I've recently had a few games of Fighting Sail which is a very 'light' set of rules which are great fun, especially for multiplayer madness and enough to cause me to go and buy my own 1:2400 scale mini fleet of ships. Being a new disciple to all things Lard I thought I'd come and have a look at the KMH rules. I think they will be a little more involved which is fine for 2 player small engagements and leave the multiplayer and larger battles to Fighting Sail.

Having read a few posts here I notice that there really isn't that much traffic. I also understand that the rules are now quite old and perhaps suffer in some places from not being as clear as perhaps more recent rules from the Lard's. Is there a single place to go for FAQ's and errata to what's there? Are there any plans for an update or sequel? (sort of like KMH2 : Kiss me harder) Are the rules playable by someone who really only wants to play a game and not learn either how to actually sail a ship or become an accountant? I suspect that they are being a Lard product but asking doesn't hurt.

I'm very tempted just to give them a try and I guess I'm just after reassurance that they are not a 'discontinued' product when I run into the inevitable new player issues and confusion.

Thanks in advance.

cstoesen

Re: Before I walk the plank.....

Post by cstoesen » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:28 pm

I like the rules. They give a good fun game. I have not played in a while but if you look through the Specials, they are still supported. I have been tinkering with them to adapt them for ships under the rate. I have not played them in a while but that is due to following after my current gaming whim rather than a reflection on the rules.
Chris Stoesen
No matter where you go, there you are -- Buckaroo Banzai
Nil Facilis Est

Paul7926

Post by Paul7926 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:58 pm

As a new 'Lardy' there does seem to be so much content in previous specials. I sometimes wonder if they could be dismantled and repackaged into rules specific books. It's probably way too much work for the benefit it might provide sadly.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:16 pm

I really like Kiss Me Hardy but don't get the chance to play them as often as I would like mainly because I get distracted by other Lardy rules. I thoroughly recommend them. They certainly don't need any knowledge of how to sail a ship or to be an accountant to play. Most of the fiddly detail you find in some naval rule sets are abstracted into the mechanics. So no need to keep track of if your guns are loaded, or the sail setting of your ship.

They are intended to allow squadrons of ships of the line to fight each other, and I've been involved in a couple of replays of Trafalgar using them, but you can also use them for single ship actions though they do need tweaking in my view if you are wanting to play with frigates and lower rated vessels exclusively - not a difficult task.

The last game I ran at the Club Involved 5 players, two of whom had never played before, each Commanding 3-4 ships and everyone had a ball.

As Chris says the rules are supported, with articles appearing in the TFL Specials from time to time. The most recent Christmas Special has an article from Nick Skinner, the rules author, with suggestions for a campaign ladder system like CoC. Previous articles included suggestions for an Indian Ocean campaign combining KMH and Sharp Practice.

Nick Skinner, the other Lardy, has said on the Lardy Oddcasts that he is currently working on a second version of KMH to update the rules and include a campaign system. I will confess that causes me a little anxiety because I enjoy the current rules so much, but I'm sure that Nick will do a good job.

As you say, they are old rules so any supporting material is to be found in the Files section of the Toofatlardies Yahoo Group here: https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Too ... 0Hardy%21/

I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have if you do take the plunge.

John

cstoesen

Post by cstoesen » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:21 pm

They did repackage stuff for Bag the Hun. If you ask Rich nicely, he just might do that. But honestly, the specials are chock full of goodness that it is a shame to miss out on any of it.
Chris Stoesen
No matter where you go, there you are -- Buckaroo Banzai
Nil Facilis Est

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:26 pm

Paul7926 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:58 pm
As a new 'Lardy' there does seem to be so much content in previous specials. I sometimes wonder if they could be dismantled and repackaged into rules specific books. It's probably way too much work for the benefit it might provide sadly.
That has been done for some things, notably the compilation of WW1 material produced a few years ago, but I believe it does involve a lot of work for little reward. There is just so much there.
Part of the joy and appeal of the Specials is that whichever current rule system you are interested in you should find something. And many of the other articles will contain ideas that you can lift for your own games.

I recommend buying the Specials when they come out and topping up your collection of back issues whenever you can afford to or are visiting the TFL site. You won't regret it.

John

Paul7926

Post by Paul7926 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:49 pm

Regarding the specials. The format is fantastic when you are picking up the current one(s) because as you suggest you get something for the system(s) of your choice and an insight into the other systems that you know you wanted to try at some point anyway. It only really falls down for the new people. I know from picking up CoC that I was pointed to about 4 or 5 different specials which would have information in them that I would find useful but the cost does start to mount up quickly. Now with that said it's still not expensive in the grand scheme of things. I also appreciate the sheer amount of work that reformatting and repackaging them would take. I'd rather the guys spent that time on developing and testing new stuff. :)

I really like the idea of picking up a special here and there and will probably adopt that for a while. A Lardy special per pay day sounds like it's the way forward.

Thanks all for comments on the rules. I'll probably pick them up anyway. I mean I have the ships now (which start at 1st rate and go down to 5th and 6th rate frigates but that's the smallest) so it's not a huge cost to give it a try.

Derek H

Post by Derek H » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:40 pm

Paul7926 wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:49 pm
I really like the idea of picking up a special here and there and will probably adopt that for a while. A Lardy special per pay day sounds like it's the way forward.
That's what I did when I joined the world of Lard back in 2010. They're better value than any of the wargames magazines, and not that much more expensive.
All the Lard News in one place - Lard Central http://www.netvibes.com/lardcentral
Pimping my blog - Dereks Wee Toys http://dereksweetoys.com/

Paul7926

Post by Paul7926 » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Well I just picked up the rules so for the rest of you "Prepare to repel silly questions!".

Nick

Post by Nick » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:03 pm

Hello chaps :)

Paul - I hope you like the rules and fire away with silly questions. Share your thoughts with us and help shape KMH2 :)

I originally wrote KMH as a way to entice non naval players to enjoy naval games. At the time, most players refused to play Napoleonic Naval rules as they found the rules that we were using to be too complicated. So I created something that fitted the games we wanted to play. The rules that came out worked - rather too well perhaps - and we ended up publishing the result. They were one of our earlier sets of rules, but remain a steady seller and are due an update, which we are working on - 'on and off'. The truth is that other rules keep jumping ahead of them in the development stakes.

As the guys have said, always worth checking out the Christmas and Summer Specials as we like to include material to support KMH, and I think it's important that we continue to do so.

Nick

Also tweeting as @Dozibugger https://twitter.com/Dozibugger
And don't forget to follow Toofatlardies on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/Toofatlardies/