Question before buying KMH

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

MortuusSum

Question before buying KMH

Post by MortuusSum » Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:29 am

Hey all. I've got a couple questions I hope you can answer before I pick up the rules. For context, I GM an ongoing Dungeons and Dragons game with pretty heavy nautical themes, but after a few attempts I've decided that any method out there of cramming naval combat into D&D just doesn't get the job done. So, I'm coming at it from the other direction, and trying to find a set of naval wargaming rules I can cram my D&D into. The setting of the game is technologically pretty similar to the late 18th/early 19th centuries, so a Napoleonic game is the way to go. I've been thinking that Kiss Me Hardy combined with Mr. Stoesen's "To Covet Glory" would work well for me, but I have a couple reservations. So, my questions:

1: How easily can I bash KMH into being ahistorical or (horror of horrors) anachronistic? I.E. Could I, without too much difficulty, figure out a set of stats for a cog or a caravel or even a liburnian?

2: Once I've heaved history over the rail, how about reality? Despite the fantasy setting, I run a pretty magic-light setting, so I'm not to worried about having to figure out what weight of shot is equivalent to a fireball, but the occasional thing might come up, and I've seen some wargames out there that would fall absolutely to pieces if I tried to make rulings too far outside their scope on the fly like I might have to.

Thanks very much for any answers you can give me, folks. If by fantastic coincidence any of you have done something similar in the past and would like to offer advice, or if you know of another game that would work better for me, I welcome any thoughts outside the scope of my questions, of course (though I do love the TFL rules I've played in the past, so I hope KMH turns out to be the game I'm looking for).

cstoesen

Re: Question before buying KMH

Post by cstoesen » Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:27 am

The answer is maybe. Do your characters each have their own ship or is the entire party on one vessel? If they have their own commands, then I can see this working just fine. If they are all on the same ship, they will spend much more time sitting around with little to do.

As to calculate vessel stats, you should be able to do that with To Covet Glory. I'm working on stats for a bilander and a galliot at the moment. Both more Renaissance than Age of Sail but both were at the battle I am modeling from 1742.

Mostly, it will be limited by your imagination and how much perceived downtime the players will have between getting to do something.

The game activates on cards by ship or fleet. I am assuming that you are not modeling a Trafalgar sized action but more of a few ships at once.

You could throw in a card per character and have them act independently of the ships? No idea if that would be useful or not.
Chris Stoesen
No matter where you go, there you are -- Buckaroo Banzai
Nil Facilis Est

MortuusSum

Post by MortuusSum » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:27 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! That's about what I expected to hear. I was actually planning on doing something along the lines of what suggested, putting cards for each of the players in the deck, and letting them act in a little more of a freeform fashion, making rulings on the fly.

cstoesen

Post by cstoesen » Thu Jun 27, 2019 2:37 pm

That seems like it would work to me. Sounds like an interesting campaign. Best of luck with it.
Chris Stoesen
No matter where you go, there you are -- Buckaroo Banzai
Nil Facilis Est

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:28 pm

Bag the Hun, TFL's WW2 air warfare game, uses cards to determine when different sections of aircraft can move or fire like the squadron cards for Kiss Me Hardy. However, it also has character cards for special named characters and both Top Ace and Junior Ace cards for the best pilots which enable them to move or fire out of sequence, in some cases firing twice in a turn. Makes them very powerful.

If your characters command their own ships you could try something similar to differentiate between their abilities.

I think Chris' "To Covet Glory" might provide what you need. The core KMH rules work best with squadrons of vessels.

John