Gendarmes d'Espagne - Peninsular war french

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

acatcalledelvis

Gendarmes d'Espagne - Peninsular war french

Post by acatcalledelvis »

Hi
I've just completed my first unit of the above - trying to put together a French counter guerrilla force - some more cavalry and foot to come. Hope you like!

https://diggingforvictoryblog.com/2016/ ... -despagne/

Archdukek

Re: Gendarmes d'Espagne - Peninsular war french

Post by Archdukek »

Nicely done figures and interesting choice of unit.

I like the idea of giving them the possibility a Moveable Deployment Point to represent better knowledge of the local terrain when operating against enemy regulars, but I would expect the enemy guerrillas to have that advantage instead. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

John

redmist1122

Post by redmist1122 »

Hey....very cool looking troops. I just saw this post as I was doing a search about the unit. I did the exact same thing using the Perry French dragoon models, and adding the Victrix 1804 heads...creative minds think the same!

So my question is about the addition from the roster of muskets. If the mounted dudes have muskets, then would it make sens to do some of these dismounted? Similar rules as applied to the French Dragoons when they go dismounted?

Thank you!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Yes they fought dismounted so treating them like dragoons makes sense.
The Contra-guerrilla list on the Lard Island blog classes them as Irregular Light Cavalry with Sabres and carbines, that classification is also used for other mounted infantry. Whether you treat the dismounted version as Skirmishers or Irregular Slirmishers is up to you. I'd been inclined to the latter.

John

redmist1122

Post by redmist1122 »

John,
Yes, I using the Contra-guerrilla listing. That's what I was thinking Irregular Skirmishers.

Speaking of the list, right above it the verbiage talks about a Polish light infantry...but, the list calls for Voltiguers (French)...could this be a typo? I have Poles which would work for the listing.

What ya think?
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Greg,
No I don't think it's a typo, I think in the preamble Rich is alluding to the considerable reputation earned by the Polish Vistula Legion who served under Suchet in Eastern Spain in contra-Guerilla activity before they were withdrawn for the Russian Campaign. They would have the same characteristics as Voltigeurs under the rules, hence the reference to that troop type in the list.

If you've got the figures I'd say go for it.

John

redmist1122

Post by redmist1122 »

John,
Kinda figure as much...so I bought a few years ago the Black Powder "Polish Vistula Legion" box set...enough variety to make some Voltiguers.

Thank you...really appreciate it!
Greg P.
Tucson, AZ, USA

custosarmorum

Post by custosarmorum »

I have often thought that the list should include foot gendarmes who are not dismounted cavalry. When the gendarmerie for the Army of Spain were formed in January/February in 1810, there were 20 squadrons composed of about 40% cavalry and 60% infantry... as I recall they were draw from a cadre of gendarmes from the legions of the interior and made up to strength from drafts from the army's infantry and cavalry units.

As such I would think there should be dedicated infantry, probably both line infantry groups as well as skirmishers.