rules for night game

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

MikeH

rules for night game

Post by MikeH »

hi all

I'm just working on a scenario that takes place at night and want to include some rules to cover the effect of fighting in darkness.

I want to keep it fairly simple and just include a few tweaks to give a bit of flavour, so this is what I've come up with so far

Deployment - all troops count as in cover when they deploy
Running - groups take an extra point of shock when making a running move
Line of sight - reduced to 12"
Illuminations - some objects can light up the night sky (a burning building is one) and this can make troops standing in front of that to be illuminated and therefore normal line of sight rules will apply.

troops are only illuminated when an enemy leader can draw a line of sight to the illuminated object that passes through that group, also the group must be within 12" of the illumination to count as illuminated.

this diagram might explain it better

example 1 - the blue formation is within 12" of the burning building and the red leader can draw a line of sight to the building that passes through the blue formation. therefore blue is illuminated and red can fire upon it to maximum range

example 2 - the blue formation is still within 12" of the burning building but is not illuminated as the red leader cant draw a LoS to the building that passes through the formation

the reason for using leaders to work out Line of Sight is they give the orders to fire and therefore I think they should be able to spot things to give that order

so what do people think, would these rules work in the game or have I over complicated things?
catch me on twitter HobbsTheGamer
Or hear my whittering on about stuff on the Meeples and Miniatures podcast and on my Blog http://mikehobbs.co.uk

Amaz_Ed

Re: rules for night game

Post by Amaz_Ed »

Maybe troops within a certain distance of the fire as well rather than simply in front of it?

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

yeah I did think that, what do other think? should we just say any units 12" in front or to the side of an illumination count as illuminated?
Or hear my whittering on about stuff on the Meeples and Miniatures podcast and on my Blog http://mikehobbs.co.uk

Morgan

Post by Morgan »

I would say, in your example 1 illustration above, the blue units could be any distance from the fire. It's not that they are lit up by the fire, it's that they are silhouetted against it and that will work at pretty much any distance (assuming the fire is big enough). Probably.
Use the Consolidated Arsenal! It's here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... E/htmlview

ALLARD Philippe

Post by ALLARD Philippe »

They are silhouetted but also blackened as you can see on the picture, and then, depending on the distance, their features are less precise: difficult to analyse due to the observer being partly blinded by the glare. So to me the most illuminated and identifiable are the sideway positions.

Rich H

Post by Rich H »

Make control checks harder for uncontrolled fire.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Lot of interesting comments here.
Another factor to consider is how important is it for the firers to be able to identify their targets as enemy troops or is it sufficient simply to see figures moving as a point to aim at. This will probably depend on the scenario and specific circumstances, e.g. Are you talking about a sentry silhouetted by a campfire or a blaze started by a group of incendiaries from your own side who might be the figures you see moving.

On balance I think it is probably best to keep things as simple as possible and restrict the range to some appropriate figure to reflect the general level of illumination or lack of it, eg cloudy night or full moon, and simply declare that any troops within a given distance of the blaze can be seen as normal.

John

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Archdukek wrote:Lot of interesting comments here.
Another factor to consider is how important is it for the firers to be able to identify their targets as enemy troops or is it sufficient simply to see figures moving as a point to aim at. This will probably depend on the scenario and specific circumstances, e.g. Are you talking about a sentry silhouetted by a campfire or a blaze started by a group of incendiaries from your own side who might be the figures you see moving.

On balance I think it is probably best to keep things as simple as possible and restrict the range to some appropriate figure to reflect the general level of illumination or lack of it, eg cloudy night or full moon, and simply declare that any troops within a given distance of the blaze can be seen as normal.

John
yeah I think a simple solution is best, I'm planning a playtest next week so will try out the rules above and let people know how they work out

Redbad

Post by Redbad »

It also lends the opportunity to have random events specific to night engagements when three command cards/chips are drawn in a row. As friend may not be recognizable from foe they could end up firing on their own troops.....

pauljamesog

Post by pauljamesog »

Mike - did you try out your rules? How did it go?

We were considering how to play a night attack on a blockhouse by a group of Rangers and Indians during the FIW. We came up with a more complex LOS for firing, with a fixed distance of 8" +2d6", so you never know if you are going to get a clear shot. While slower, this seemed more aligned to the uncertainty of night fighting and the theme of the SP rules.

We also considered:
-that a unit which fires is automatically illuminated (and therefore a good target to maximum range) until it moves
- Movement is at an additional -1 per die

Would very much like to hear if anyone else has tried adjustments for night engagements.

thanks,
Paul
Paul
Sydney, Australia

http://tasmancave.blogspot.com.au