Maori Wars

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

roughneck2

Re: Maori Wars

Post by roughneck2 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:03 am

Thanks for that Simon.
Much appreciated.
I vaguely recall a discussion in which (I think it may have been Mike Snook) indicated that when part of a combined assault the Naval ratings were in the centre doing the hard yards whilst the Marines operated on the fringes, I'm assuming to provide protection to the bluejackets.

From a recent reading of 'The White Ensign in New Zealand' it appears that during the 1845/46 campaign at least some of the Bluejackets operated in 'small arms' groups armed with pistols and cutlass.
Would it therefore be better to separate out the Royal Navy ratings and the Royal Marines and treat the Marines as Light Infantry ?

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:51 pm

Oh dear, another book to add to the collection.

There's certainly some accounts from the Mutiny of the Marines skirmishing ahead of the rest of the Naval Brigade - which might warrant rating them as Skirmishers (maybe not expert enough to be rated as Light Infantry?) although that might vary from scenario to scenario - in many case they might be better rated as Line, depending on the tactical role they adopted.

How would you class the Naval Brigade companies equipped only with pistols, cutlass and other melee weapons? There were some ideas in SP1, IIRC?

roughneck2

Post by roughneck2 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:34 am

Hi Simon

I did find this in SP1 "As a rule the men of the Navy, Marines or Pirates move, fight and spot just like their comrades on terra firma. The Marines may be considered more akin to musket armed Light Infantry as they are likely to be operating on their own initiative more than an Infantryman of the Line. They may, however, also choose to adopt Formations, unlike your run of the mill sailors."

I'll have to have a bit of a think about how to class the 'small arms sea-men'. I think one of the SP2 lists has some Navy stats so I'll get back to you on that. From memory I think it had them listed as 'conscripts and volunteers' which I'm not entirely sure about.

As for 'The White Ensign In New Zealand" it's a great little book. Only about 120 pages all up with 5 of the 7 chapters devoted to the New Zealand Wars. Managed to dig out a few little nuggets of info which should prove useful.

I'm currently reading Ron Crosby's book 'Kupapa' which focuses on the Maori tribes who fought on the side of the Crown. An excellent read on a topic which is often overlooked. He certainly makes a very good case for the idea that without Maori support it's likely the British and NZ Government may not have prevailed - a point which was not lost on some of the more savvy Commanders and politicians.

regards
Roger

Arteis

Post by Arteis » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:56 am

The main campaigns of the colonial New Zealand Wars took place from the 1840s to the 1870s. Over those 30 or more years, uniforms and weapons changed. My NZ Wars wargaming armies have so far primarily represented the early campaigns of the 1840s, when the British still wore red coats. But I’ve recently painted some Perry Miniatures ‘British Intervention Force’ figures to complete a small British and colonial army of the 1860s.

Pics and info here on my blog: https://arteis.wordpress.com/2016/11/20 ... the-1860s/

Here's a couple of sample pics from the above blog posting:

roughneck2

Post by roughneck2 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:07 am

Thanks for sharing the pics Arteis.
Your NZ Wars figures are amazing - very jealous.
Certainly makes me want to hurry up and get my figures painted.

And for those who also like wargames of the boardgame variety you may like this;
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/293 ... -1845-1872

regards
Roger

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid » Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:41 pm

That game looks very interesting. I've pre-ordered it (and had to resist ordering a few of their others too). Thanks for the link.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

roughneck2

Post by roughneck2 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:59 am

Hi Captain Reid.

I'm certainly going to be grabbing a copy of the Maori Wars boardgame. The game designer John Poniske has also done a previous game on King Philip's War and is currently working on another design for Washington's Indian War on the Ohio.

regards
Roger

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:29 am

Yeah . . . those were the two I had to resist . . . although I thought the Plains War trilogy intriguing too.

The Maori Wars slightly asymmetric approach sold me on it really. It could be interesting to use the board game as a campaign level platform with combats resolved using SP2.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

roughneck2

Post by roughneck2 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:23 am

Captain Reid

That's an excellent idea.
Really looking forward to seeing it published.
I must admit I'm very tempted by his other titles as well and he's just had another game published in Battles Magazine on the Philippines Insurrection which looks very interestimg. The bank balance is probably going to take a hammering I think !!!

On the SP2 front I'm busily reading trhough about a dozen more books on the NZ Wars to start fine tuning some of the army lists.

Roger

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:58 pm

Dangerously, I was thinking the same about those board games as a basis for various SP-related campaigns. Just picked up a 1798 Irish Rebellion game for that reason, and one for 1745 Jacobite Rebellion, so I suspect it's a fait-accompli for the New Zealand Wars, Fenians and especially the North West Metis Rebellion!