Maori Wars

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

roughneck2

Re: Maori Wars

Post by roughneck2 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:41 pm

Hi guys

Quick question.
How big a group would you use for armed settlers?
I'm thinking specifically of the 110 armed settlers who made up the 'Civic Guard' at Kororareka in the 1840's. These guys were locals assembled to help defend the township.

I'm inclined to use the same size group and stats as the civilian volunteers on the Fenian Raids army list.

Any thoughts/comments/suggestions.

cheers
Roger

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:28 am

As Irregular Skirmishers? I think it'd be either that or as Militia (10 men), depending on how they actually fought.

42 of the 110 Civic Guard seem to have deserted their posts after the flagstaff blockhouse fell, so they don't really seem to be better than Militia to me. I don't see much evidence of them skirmishing either.

Perhaps:

Militia with Muskets
Formation - No Shock (they had had, apparently, some rudimentary drill from the naval officers)
First Fire - No (it could be argued 'Yes')
Controlled Volley - No
Crashing Volley - No
Step Out - No
Drill - No (the drill they had received was rudimentary. I can't see even Drill - 3 being very arguable)
Hearth and Home (reasonably)
Surly (also perhaps reasonably given the desertions).
No Bayonets

would make them 2 points per group of 12. That's pretty cheap and given they seemed to be garrisoning blockhouses might make them quite formidable. However a lack of leaders would hamper their utility nicely. Only the police magistrate, Beckham seems to have been in any real leadership role as far as the Civic Guard were concerned. The solicitor, Hector, seems to have assumed command of a gun rather than led the Guard.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

roughneck2

Post by roughneck2 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:56 am

Hey thanks for the responses guys.
Much appreciated.

Captain Reid I agree with your comments/suggestions. Having re-read Cowan and Buick, treating the 'Civil Guard' as militia makes much more sense than skirmishers. As you say, there is no indication of how they fought and given their somewhat limited training I think your suggested stats/attributes are appropriate. (and as an aside your FIW blog is excellent - look forward to reading more).

Arteis - thanks for the links. It was actually your Flagstaff scenario that I had in mind when I started to toy with the idea of doing a 'Fall of Kororareka' scenario.

cheers
Roger

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:12 am

Glad you like the blog, Roger, thanks for looking.

I'll be very interested to see final lists you come up with for this conflict. It's a war I'd love to do for SP games, but probably it'll have to wait a few years.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

roughneck2

Post by roughneck2 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:28 am

Captain Reid (and anyone else who wants to join in the discussion) - I'd certainly be interested in your thoughts on how best to represent the Armed Constabulary, particularly those that fought in the campaign against Te Kooti.
The A/C Divisions were usually between 60 to 100 men in strength and trained as Light Infantry so I think Groups of 6 would be best. Standard weapon was the breech loading carbine. I'm just not entirely sure how many groups should make up a basic A/C Core Force list for that campaign, bearing in mind these were small, highly mobile units.

I had thought something along the lines of;
Status II leader
2 groups of 6
Status II leader
2 groups of 6

With possible support options consisting of Allied Maori, artillery (the A/C had their own trained artillery units) and for completeness sake perhaps a Mounted A/C option, although the fighting was primarily done on foot. There were also the two A/C divisions that were comprised solely of Maori and had European officers. You could also include a scout option to represent the Corps of the Guides.

regards
Roger

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid » Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:23 pm

I suppose the Armed Constabulary might be

Light Infantry with Breech-Loading Carbines. 6 men. 14 points
Formation - Always
First Fire - No (I struggle to see breech-loaders gaining the benefit of careful loading in the same way that muzzle-loaders did)
Controlled Volley - No
Crashing Volley - No
Step Out - 2
Drill - No

Not sure any characteristics are really needed. I'd presume the Maori recruits would be 'regularised' by the training and would lose the especial aggressive edge that characterises their 'traditionalist' counterparts.

I'd suggest that as the mounted constabulary invariably fought dismounted the two sorts should be identical for game purposes but perhaps in a campaign setting those with horses might be faster moving over some sorts of terrain, whilst hindered over others.

They do seem to have been the best body of men available to the crown though, excepting perhaps the Forest Rangers, who seem to have been rather more skillful in the bush, so perhaps:

Leader Status III
Two Groups of 6 Armed Constabulary (as above)
Leader Status II
One Group of 6 Armed Constabulary (ditto)
Leader Status I
One Group of 6 Armed Constabulary (ditto)

at 74 points. That compares reasonably well with other breech-loading forces in the rulebook.

However all the above is really just based off my recollections and a quick reread.

roughneck2

Post by roughneck2 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:18 am

Thanks again Captain Reid - your input has been really helpful in moving this project along for me. Hope to spend some more time this week working up some ideas for the Volunteer units (Volunteer rifles and volunteer cavalry).

One thing that I did want to incoprorate into the Maori forces to give the game a more specific NZ flavour was the concept of utu. My initially feeling is that where utu is a factor between oppoesed Maori forces it could perhaps be some reflected as sort of increase in agressiveness or maybe a desire to eliminate Maori opposition. Still just toying with some ideas at the moment. Might be worth waiting for the Sharp Practice campaign book for more ideas.

regards
Roger

roughneck2

Post by roughneck2 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:55 pm

I forgot to ask but does anyone have information on the uniforms worn by the Royal Marines whilst in New Zealand. I'm assuming they wore something similar to the infantry but can't find any references at all. I'd be particularly interested to know what headgear they wore as well.

cheesr
Roger

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:13 pm

This thread has some useful information and images, though it's ostensibly about the RMLI and RMA during the Indian Mutiny:

http://www.victorianwars.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=11517