The Sharpulator Arrives

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Archdukek

Re: The Sharpulator Arrives

Post by Archdukek »

Hi bob696,
I strongly suspect that KamEdiply is a troll or bot. He keeps resurrecting old threads with irrelevant questions.

John
BillySteph

Post by BillySteph »

Hi all,
I have had a look at the sharpulator pdf and it looks like it it will be a usefull tool. However it remains a little unclear to how I would use it. Am I to assume the list that the troop figure or is it relating to a group of troops, end within a specific list does that list then equal the points attributable to the figure? So for example if the troop moves from list 2 to list 4 this means that the figure is 4 points rather than 2, or is it that the group is 4 points rather than 2?
I would appreciate some guidance.
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Billy,
The Sharpulator is used for determining the cost of a Group of figures with the specific characteristics set out in the unit description. The answer then tells you how many Support points it will cost to field that Group.

It does not determine the cost of individual figures.

John
BillySteph

Post by BillySteph »

Thanks John.
Bishop2K7

Post by Bishop2K7 »

What basic unit values are you guys using for units armed with breach loaders? Since the Dragoons jump up 5 points from rifled carbines to breach-loaded carbines, perhaps adding 5 or 6 to the rifled musket value for line infantry and skirmish troops upgrading to breach-loader?
Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid »

I'd add 5 to the list price for Skirmish Troops with breech loaders. I don't think that Line Troops should have them personally because, except when forming square in dire straits, troops employing breech loaders seem to have been in dispersed formations with a good few feet between men, not shoulder to shoulder as SP Line Troops are.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.
Bishop2K7

Post by Bishop2K7 »

I'm trying to do the French Army of Africa in Algeria during the 1870-80s. From what I've been reading the entire column would basically move in a giant square to guard against ambush from massive Arab cavalry units. So I don't think it is out of the question that they would remain in pretty tight formation most the time.
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Bishop2K7 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:42 pm I'm trying to do the French Army of Africa in Algeria during the 1870-80s. From what I've been reading the entire column would basically move in a giant square to guard against ambush from massive Arab cavalry units. So I don't think it is out of the question that they would remain in pretty tight formation most the time.
SP is really not meant to be used in the era of breechloaders so things like the Anglo-Zulu war or the French in Algeria in the 1870-80s are going to be difficult to do with the points in the Sharpulator. As it says on the cover 1700 to 1865.
Bishop2K7

Post by Bishop2K7 »

DaveH wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:51 pm SP is really not meant to be used in the era of breechloaders so things like the Anglo-Zulu war or the French in Algeria in the 1870-80s are going to be difficult to do with the points in the Sharpulator. As it says on the cover 1700 to 1865.
I'm aware of that, but want to give it a go anyway. I'm not afraid to try some rule adaptations; like Simon Walker's article from LardSpecial-2019 or something else I come up with on my own. If it ends up not working out, that's okay. It's all in the name of fun after all. :D