Fisticuffs Anomaly

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

giobaratto

Fisticuffs Anomaly

Post by giobaratto »

Hi all,
well, maybe my question did not verge to an anomaly, but on something that we could not find in the rules in our last confrontation.

The situation: In a scenario of the American Revolution, a group of three American frontiersmen (who's leader is knocked out) are charged by 5 indians, at British service, led by a Lvl.1 Leader.
To be short, after throwing their tomahakws, was almost a near thing (6base+2daggressive+1dleader)=9; against a little less for the americans (3d> 50%+4dtwo level better+2d aggressive -1forshock)=7.
Now, as luck help the brave. The final result was 3 dead suffered for the frontiersmen and 4 dead an 1 shock for the indians.
NO hit to both leader. That give us that only the knocked out american leader survives from one side, and 1 indian and his leader on the other.
Now, the questions.

Do the indians loose the fight by 1 point? and they have to reatret 6 inches?

It seemed strange to us something like that 'cause the only survivor for the americans was a stoned leader, so we decided that the indians won even if they loss the fight by 1, (they decide to scalping the frontiersmen leader, by the way)

But I'm curios to know how you more experienced guy would have managed the situation, adn the correct way to solve it.

Cheers for any explication you can give us.

Giorgio
Peter

Re: Fisticuffs Anomaly

Post by Peter »

Enemy wiped out would be a victory in my book, but I haven't played for a while.
bandrsntch

Post by bandrsntch »

I would play it as an heroic win by the Americans who died so that their leader would survive. The last Indian and his Leader would have to slink away in shame. Both sides would have some Bad Things happen checks to perform, "group wiped out" by the frontiersmen and Group obliged to withdraw for the Indians. That's a 50% chance for the Indians to have no Force morale effect and also for the frontiersmen to have a -2 effect. I'd say that adequately reflects an |"heroic defense" outcome.
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

Given the narrative nature of Sharp Practice I think bandrsntch's suggestion and reasoning is pretty sound! I suspect an involuntary withdrawal of the Indian unit is only deferring the downed leader's fate, but it opens up great narrative possibilities
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

I'd play the fisticuffs as you did: the Americans defeated and the unconscious Leader captured.

As to the Leader, personally I'd delay any action towards them until the unit's activation, to give the Americans a chance to respond, and if they did kill the prisoner count it as a Loss of Face since it might give the British regulars pause.
Munin

Post by Munin »

I too would have had the lone remaining native and his leader retreat. Think of it like this: men with mortal wounds don't always fall immediately, and once you're running away you can't see that all of your opponents are down. :)