The Black Goos Mill

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

NapolOrk

The Black Goos Mill

Post by NapolOrk »

VON SCHWARZENBERG AT BLACK GOOSE MILL

Let's do some Scenario Discussion:

Starting thinking about the first scenario - Austians against French at the Black Goose Mill (Watermill by Sarissa Persision) will start on TTCombat's pair of 1×1ft gameboards for the mill pond and glenn. As I do like naturally landscape I do plan to layout the boards as combine able to each other. Not trying to invent the wheel a second time I do ask for help to create the landscape in a way to be able to chance and wheel the pices for arranging different theaters. As a dominant building the Mill will open AND block the way over the river - that's this senarios clue making this old water mill suddenly with it's solid weir and fragile bridge nit a - THE single key position and task:

A.
The battle field is 3×5ft in 15 single one sqft plates giving a quite long battle field narrow by swamps beside both long sides.

Placing is this manner:

B.
Plate 1-6 and 10-15 will be occupied step by step by a typical SP2's wellknown "D6 countryside random CReator".

I. Inflow's tricky side
So only five plates are absolutely fixed (N°s 1, 7, 8, 9 and 15) These aren't negotiable!!!
Pl. 7 or 9 is given as inflow into the mill pond pioneer troopers could build a bridge but the ends would be sucked into the water by the deep swamp - so no chance here to cross with or without building some ponton bridge.

II. Plate 8
Pl. 8 is the weir's flooddoors and two millwheels in and beside the building. First there is one smaller mill getting water from above (rebuilding Wills Ltd. plastic 1/76) the other as kit intended from below. Some decorative motentsealillys surrounded by patches of bulrush. This mill give the quiet atmosphere for the swimming arround family of black goose.

III. Plate 9
Square N° 9 bears the mill with the only river crossing street in 90° to the waterline's run. The Mill is of stone with usual upper floor attic of wooden bars.

IV. Plate 10
The "downpipe" of the river as the water has done its work hopefully but is rushing into the countryside wildly prohibiting any crossing due to it's pure force - even Curassier's horses will be washed away into the bown waters.

V. Setting
Troops are for the test game on both side:

3 Line Infantry (3×4 minis/3ACDs) and one Grenadiers (4 minis 1ACDs)

3 Line Dragoons with good hunting rifles
(3×4 minis/3ACDs)

3 Lancers
(3×4minis/3 ACDs) Polish Lancers vs. their hated foe Von Schwarzerberg Uhlans

3 Artillery
(Foot) 6 to 9pounder (3×4 minis/3ACDs)

2 skirmishing
group of elite troops (3×4 minis/3ACDs) Jaegers/Grenzers vs. Voltegieurs.

1gun ammo wagon and water cast for each side - only one for each. So the defender does chose first.
_____

Both sides do start from the farest away street end on their narrow side of the beattelfield 1/15 onto both streets.

The both sides do urgly need to fight their way about the weir bridge to the foe's side of the rive pressing him out of the board. If any enemy soldier reaches your deployment within an inch you are triomphing.

Your guns and men can march by 2inch when activated

And so both do run foreward to reach the narrow bridge as so as possible. But cavallery could anly pass this bridge slowly by 11+4 and being of their charging strength until the first memb. So this is the easy part but both are damned to work politly and carfully as the ownership as the existing of this mill is essential for the region. So a canon ball passing by at 1,5 inch will enlight an explosion in 50% manner - same test for rifle's or musket's shot passing in 1 inch.

Cavallery can pass the bridge only unmounteGznd. and can't fhurry up more than 1/4 of the normal shdway dueto the sounding of the water. So nobody should be wise no to try this, shouldn't you?

Guns can not pass the bridge.

VICTORY DECISION:
pushing he enemy off the

So is this playable and will this naydo some interesting narrative,doesn't it?
Archdukek

Re: The Black Goos Mill

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Christian-Heinrich,
It’s a little difficult to get a clear idea of the table you have planned without a map or photograph, however it sounds to me that it is going to be very constrained with little manoeuvre room. In those circumstances I would advise against using cavalry or artillery in the game or you could end up in a bloodbath.

I’m unsure about your units too. What do you mean by 3ACDs? Is that meant to be a single Status III Leader? If so your Force is over officered and control and managing Shock will be too easy. Most Forces in SP are led by a single Status III Leader Captain with Formations of 2-3 Groups each controlled by him or by a Level II Lieutenant possibly assisted by a Level I Sergeant typically. I recommend spending about a third of your points total on Leaders.

Line Dragoons would never have good hunting rifles historically. They weren’t known for the accuracy of their fire. They are more likely to be found amongst Jägers.

You are unlikely to need the ammunition or water cart, random events aren’t that common in my experience but they do add colour.

Hope these comments help.

John
siggian

Re: The Black Goos Mill

Post by siggian »

Basically, the scenario seems to be grind-em up battle. It might be far more interesting battling along the long side where you can't have the artillery dominating the only easy crossing point and being also able to cover alternatives.