AWI army list questions

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Sphyrnidae

AWI army list questions

Post by Sphyrnidae »

Greeting all,

I am quite new to SP2, and the AWI in general. I have been doing a lot of reading, and checking the forum for answers to any questions I may have.

I know there are some typos in the AWI lists, as mentioned in these two threads from 2016 ( https://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewt ... rmy#p32245 ) ( https://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewt ... rmy#p32952 ). Richard mentioned on at least one of those that it would be included in the errata.

In my quest for these answers, I believe there was also a thread about the dragoons being armed incorrectly as well, but I can't seem to find it again.

Are there any other typos in the AWI lists I should be aware of?

Where these typos ever updated or added to an errata, or new list, anywhere? I know it's not in the errata and faq document currently on the site.

Also I was wondering if the Continental Army should have the option for a group of 8 Lt. Infantry with muskets in Line, as the British Army does, or were the Cont. Lt. Inf. only ever used as skirmishers?
From what I've read they seemed to detach the Light Companies from their parent regiments and in practice they performed both light infantry and grenadier duties. I know the Continental Army disbanded what few Grenadier companies they had early in the war.

Thanks for any help you might give,
Stacy
BaronVonWreckedoften

Re: AWI army list questions

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Hi Stacy,

I'll leave more experienced players to answer the rules snafus, but quite simply, the Continental Corps of Light Infantry performed the roles of both elements of the British corps d'elite - the Grenadier Battalions and Light Infantry Battalions (although both of these units increasingly swapped roles as the war went on, also). So to answer your question, yes, you should be able to have groups of 8 Light Infantry fighting as "line" infantry, just as you could for their British equivalents - in fact, you could form an entire SP2 force out of Continental lights.

If memory serves me, the Corps of Light Infantry consisted of two elements - one was the original light companies of the various regiments of individual States (eg 1st, 2nd, 3rd New York etc), which all consisted of nine companies - one light and eight centre. This left the eight centre companies, and to provide them with integral skirmish troops, they formed new light companies from the best shots/picked men of those eight centre companies. Unfortunately, a shortage of light infantry within the Continental army meant that these companies were also removed and formed into additional battalions for the CoLI! At this point, the regimental commanders got wise to this little ruse, stopped forming new light companies, and just had each centre company tell off a number men to act as skirmishers/flank guards/etc as and when needed. Of course, by then they had all lost two tranches of their best men.....

I'm not aware of any grenadier companies existing in actual Continental units after 1776 (the original 26 consecutively numbered regiments); however, the term "grenadier" was occasionally used in the Whig militia forces (and possibly also within the Continental army proper) to denote experienced, or veteran units - eg some of the Virginia militia at Yorktown were so described.

Hope that helps.
BvW
No plan survives first contact with the dice.
Sphyrnidae

Post by Sphyrnidae »

Thanks for the info. That is all part of what I read and what sparked my question of if the Continentals should also be able to field them in line.

As it currently stands, Cont. Lt. Inf with muskets is only listed as 6 man skirmish unit. I suppose I'll just use the entry for British Light Infantry in Line 1778 Onward until something more official is posted.
BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

That sounds pretty fair, they were elite troops and certainly on a par with the British equivalents.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.