The very start into SP2... Basic question

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Archdukek

Re: The very start into SP2... Basic question

Post by Archdukek »

NapolOrk wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:29 am Thanks a lot John...

As I do my bases from 2mm plywood this is a goid help for me. So I can start with the bases as a mass production job.

But do I get such a "core force" build out of these sets of miniatures I ordered, John?
Sorry NapolOrk but I can’t comment on the suitability of those boxes since I don’t have any. However, Levi has already covered the key points pretty comprehensively.

The Austrians did use some of the men from the 3rd rank of Line infantry units as skirmishers on occasion though they weren’t as effective as the French. So at a pinch you could use some figures from the box if they are in a more dynamic pose. However, I think adding some Grenzers or Jägers would look nicer. One thing to remember is that troops cannot switch during a game from Line Infantry to become Skirmish Troops or vice versa. They are given their task before the game starts and will stick to that role.

Austrian Grenadiers were usually stripped from their parent battalions and concentrated in separate Grenadier composite battalions kept in the Reserve Corps. So historically they probably wouldn’t be mixed in with a line infantry Company but it’s your game. If you want to use Grenadiers I suggest you just create a narrative as to why they are present. I’d also recommend two groups of 8 if you do decide to use them.

The Austrians could be quite strict about uniform regulations I believe, except for senior officers. So most lower ranking officers such as found in an SP game would be uniformly dressed, but who really knows what events might occur in a campaign which might affect things.

I wouldn’t worry about the height of your gunners, it won’t affect the rules. Its simply what looks right to you.

John
NapolOrk

Post by NapolOrk »

John, thank you that is verkind of you and of great importance... I hope to receive the boxes in the next week as there are some parcels on its way to fullfill my ranks. The Jaegers and Grenzers I ordered from Victrix.

The vrenadiers are in the same way as I understood it. I got a plenty of information from here and Tabletop-CP on Youtube so I hope to join in there by more scenic descriptions about the landscape on buildings and movement trays...
At the moment I am completly irritated what is best to use - has any body suggestions for Line, Skirmish and Cavallery? (Is there skimishing Cavallery in SP2?)
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Cavalry in Sharp Practice are divided up into 4 classes:

“Impact Cavalry” which includes your Cuirassiers and other Heavy Horse Dragoons like the Austrian, British and Russian whose main role was to charge and break the enemy;

“Scouting Cavalry” who are regular Light Cavalry units like Hussars, Chevaux Legeres and Light Dragoons that usually fight mounted but can fire from horseback in a skirmishing role.

“Dragoons”, mainly the French in the Napoleonic period, who can fight mounted or dismounted as Skirmishers.

“Irregular Cavalry” who are units like Cossacks or other tribal cavalry and mounted infantry who use horses to move around but who fight dismounted.

John
Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

NapolOrk wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:18 pm Thanks for the wounderfull help you give..

But (as narrative as it is in the rules set) is it on both sides realistic?
As with many things in the period, it will depend on when and where you look. I can't speak to the Austrian armies, but in general implementation of new uniform regulations took time and many items wouldn't be replaced until they had worn out. Availability and quality varied widely, especially when the armies were away from their depots on campaign: for example it took as long as 6 years before the French army in Spain was fully in blue coats and shakos.

Volunteer and newly-raised forces that were common in times of emergency wore whatever was available in the storehouses at the time, which could be very ornate or quickly-made homespun. I've read of the rapidly-expanded Spanish armies sharing uniforms in 1808, with the new recruits being clothed in the existing soldiers' sets of working fatigues so as to at least be wearing the right colors until new uniforms could be made.

Is there a specific battle or campaign you're drawing inspiration from or want to game? That is a good way to focus your planning.

For example I'm building up my forces to represent the early fighting in Catalonia in 1808-1809, so the Imperial troops will be either second-rate French units pulled from garrison duty or Italian allies, while the Spanish will mostly be in their bright early uniforms.
NapolOrk

Post by NapolOrk »

Thanks for your help so I think my mixtoure of several uniforms will be right and I am going to start with the ordered figures researching the uniforms in my Funcken books, painting and basing.