Hornblower / Aubrey type antics

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Eclaireur

Hornblower / Aubrey type antics

Post by Eclaireur »

Hi guys,
I'm aiming to do some SP games in the 1790s or early 1800s featuring landing actions by RN/RM forces against enemy held coasts - storming a battery, rescuing a prisoner or burning down stores, that type of thing. I'm planning initially to pit my troops against revolutionary French.

Searching the forum I see this subject has come up once or twice before eg...
https://toofatlardies.co.uk/forum/viewt ... =31&t=4666

But I'm curious as to whether there's ever been definitive army lists (I don't see them here) or scenarios published in the Lard specials during the last year or two?

In organising my RN/RM force I see no difficulty in classing my marines as regulars, but also allowing them to throw out skirmishers. With their sniping role in sea battles they belong to that select club who learned to 'aim' their muskets rather than 'present' and 'level' them as per the manual exercise.

As for ship's company sent ashore, thay are surely a form of melee infantry? and I like the suggestion contained in the thread above of classing them as Tribe - even the word sums up a ship's company in the age of sail very well! Does that mean groups of 10 or 12? Do you people generally do 12s as pairs of 6 sabot bases or doesn't that matter?

Tips or experiences shared would be most welcome,
EC

Captain Reid

Re: Hornblower / Aubrey type antics

Post by Captain Reid »

I have RN units in my Cerro Manteca rosters

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11cTAJd ... p=drivesdk

Second tab
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

I'm doing Royal Marines as well, and plan on using them the same as you: deployed as line or light troops as desired. Complements were supposed to be 1 Marine per ship's gun, so you're looking at 3-5 groups for a frigate.

Haven't gotten as far as the sailors yet, but was planning on doing similar, although I'm skeptical of the larger group sizes as that would make them more resilient to shock. Check Your Leader TV has a couple episodes of Sharp Practice that feature sailors and marines, iirc "The Affair at El Chappo" and "Rescue at El Chappo". They talk briefly about the rules used, I vaguely remember the sailors receiving a close-combat bonus in the first round and only half of them having muskets.

Eclaireur

Post by Eclaireur »

Nice one Capt Reid - very useful. That 32lb Carronade looks like a bit of a Death Star!

Levi - I will look those vids up, thanks for the recommendation
EC

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

The 2016 Christmas Special contains the Viva Ras Begus scenario which will give you Rich’s take on a Royal Navy landing party. Though set after the Peninsula War I cant see things having changed that much meantime.

John

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Eclaireur,

Bear in mind that your "marines" don't always have to be actual Marines, as it was not uncommon, even in the early Napoleonic era, for line infantry (and even Guardsmen on one occasion) to serve in that capacity when Bootnecks were in short supply. This would allow you to use infantry in either bicornes, or the classic round hat if serving in the Mediterranean or Caribbean. There is at least one famous "drama on deck" painting depicting officers and men of a Foot Regiment (either the 2nd or the 69th - both served at the Glorious First of June); somewhat more fictitiously, there was an episode of "Hornblower" entitled "The Frogs and the Lobsters" in which the eponymous hero supported the landing of French Royalists (complete with that wonderful Yorkshire invention, the guillotine - or perhaps I should say t'guillotine*) and a British regiment.

[* Based on Terry Jones' "Mediaeval Lives" in which he revealed that the earliest reference to the device comes, not from France, but from 14th Century Halifax, where it was used to execute livestock rustlers - using the stolen (and presumably recovered) animals to raise and drop the blade! ]
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Eclaireur

Post by Eclaireur »

Baron ! you are erudite as always, even if answering question I didn't ask ;)
Yes indeed other infantry types could indeed be put ashore, and I have bought a couple of dozen Perry figures in round hats in the hope I can land them somewhere in the Mediterranean or Caribbean.
The scope for possible actions is mind boggling really - from Toulon or Corsica to the Caribbean, cross channel operations such as Ostend, and the Mediterranean. I was reading yesterday about the 1806 campaign in southern Italy, which features that loon Admiral Sidney Smith. It has so many possibilities for landing parties - whether using marines of regular infantry, but is probably a bit of a stretch in terms of the period dress for my miniatures ...
EC

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Eclaireur wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:48 pm
Baron ! you are erudite as always, even if answering question I didn't ask ;)
And despite all the time you've known me, this still surprises you? :lol:
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Eclaireur

Post by Eclaireur »

The 2016 Christmas Special contains the Viva Ras Begus scenario
Thanks John, have splashed out and bought that one now.

Baron - quite right, it shouldn't surprise me!

Eclaireur

Post by Eclaireur »

just adding a quick note - yes I often talk to myself :lol:
the 2017 Xmas Special has a very good little SP2 campaign 'Lion de Mer', about a French invasion of Sussex, which has some interesting rules in it. Though of course the 'tribes' in this scenario are French sailors ashore rather than British ones ...
EC