Wellseley, Sharp Practice and the Mysore Wars

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

jonrog1

Wellseley, Sharp Practice and the Mysore Wars

Post by jonrog1 »

Ok I've got some Indian and Afghan tribesmen figures and was wondering if, with a few tactful purchases from Iron Duke's Mutiny range in 28mm, I could morph this into a Mysore force.I'm considering a "what if" campaign, where Trafalgar is something of a draw, leading to bolder French support for Tippu Sultan's uprising leading to French boots on the ground. Well that's my preamble excuse for flashing out on some of the Perry French in Egypt range.

So possibly two forces.

French expeditionary column. 3 elements of line (24 figs) and mtd big man leader/ 2 elements of Voltiguers and sergeant to be played by Gerard Depardieu :-), One unit of Hussars.

Mysore force 3 elements of matchlock men and mtd big man leader/ 2 elements of Afghan mercenary matchlock/ swordsmen/ 1x 6 man unit of Ghazi fanatics.

Wellesley's
3 elements of line (24 figs) and the man himself/ 2 elements of dismounted Light dragoons skirmish order, 1 x 6 Corsican Rangers.

Does this sound about right, appreciate any input, but watching Richard's demo game on Beast of War, I think Sharpe's Practice will be ideal for a campaign based around Wellesley's early exploits in India. Hope to bring in Marine and Naval landing parties at a later stage.

Capt Fortier

Re: Wellseley, Sharp Practice and the Mysore Wars

Post by Capt Fortier »

jonrog1 wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:17 pm
I'm considering a "what if" campaign, where Trafalgar is something of a draw, leading to bolder French support for Tippu Sultan's uprising leading to French boots on the ground. Well that's my preamble excuse for flashing out on some of the Perry French in Egypt range.
Great idea but the Mysore revolt was pretty much done and dusted (and Tipu Sultan turned to dust) by time of Trafalgar (1805) - but a different outcome for the Battle of the Nile (1798) and you're onto a winner! A more complete French victory in Egypt and Syria in 1798-99 could perhaps reasonably throw into doubt some of the British maneuvers in India and create potentially more French allies there. Still a long stretch, but perfect territory for Sharp Practice.
French expeditionary column. 3 elements of line (24 figs) and mtd big man leader/ 2 elements of Voltiguers and sergeant to be played by Gerard Depardieu :-), One unit of Hussars.
Maybe add some Mamelukes or even a camel troop or colonial troops from Mauritius and Pondicherry
Mysore force 3 elements of matchlock men and mtd big man leader/ 2 elements of Afghan mercenary matchlock/ swordsmen/ 1x 6 man unit of Ghazi fanatics.
Surely also some members of the Jacobin Club of Mysore supporting "Citezen Tipoo" (complete with mobile guillotine)
Hope to bring in Marine and Naval landing parties at a later stage.
Brilliant. Would love to see this progress
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

jonrog1

Post by jonrog1 »

Thank you for the sup[port and encouragement Captain Fortier, at this stage it's just an idea and as you've probably guessed not an area of expertise, but books have been ordered and looking forward to genning up on the period. One thing I know I have omitted straight away is that to realistically reflect the composition of the HEIC forces I need Sepoy's, so these need to be added someway to the list. So perhaps three units of 8 for the Sepoy's, two units of HEIC/HM Line (33rd perhaps), with light infantry (Corsican Rangers) supporting. To this you could add the 19th Light Dragoons.

Re French forces, yes Camel Corps as dismounted skirmishers would be an excellent addition and reflect the exotic nature of Napoleon's Army of the Orient.Do you have any links or information on the Colonial troops from Mauritius and Pondicherry as they would also add a unique look to the force. The Naval landings relating to India and the surrounding islands are a fascinating add on to the campaign in their own right.

Re the Jacobin Club, a bullock drawn Guillotine would be unusual, if memory serves me right, Eureka do a model of one in 28mm.

Many thanks.

Jon

poiter50

Post by poiter50 »

If you ask Nic nicely and explain your purpose, he might sell you just the parts you need. The full stage of his product might be a bit too much for your purposes.He has an Ox Cart as part of his Nam accessories IIRC. I think Foundry still have a Guillotine as well.
jonrog1 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:17 am
Thank you for the sup[port and encouragement Captain Fortier, at this stage it's just an idea and as you've probably guessed not an area of expertise, but books have been ordered and looking forward to genning up on the period. One thing I know I have omitted straight away is that to realistically reflect the composition of the HEIC forces I need Sepoy's, so these need to be added someway to the list. So perhaps three units of 8 for the Sepoy's, two units of HEIC/HM Line (33rd perhaps), with light infantry (Corsican Rangers) supporting. To this you could add the 19th Light Dragoons.

Re French forces, yes Camel Corps as dismounted skirmishers would be an excellent addition and reflect the exotic nature of Napoleon's Army of the Orient.Do you have any links or information on the Colonial troops from Mauritius and Pondicherry as they would also add a unique look to the force. The Naval landings relating to India and the surrounding islands are a fascinating add on to the campaign in their own right.

Re the Jacobin Club, a bullock drawn Guillotine would be unusual, if memory serves me right, Eureka do a model of one in 28mm.

Many thanks.

Jon

jonrog1

Post by jonrog1 »

To quote Blackadder I have a cunning plan!

Iron duke have bullock drawn artillery for their Indian Muting range, I was thinking at some far off distant time in the horizon when I finally get round to that level of the project :-), of scratch-building an artillery platform for a Mysore cannon I've got sitting in the lead pile. However an additional wagon with an attached guillotine does have an "edge" to it!

AndrewMJones

Post by AndrewMJones »

Hi,
I have been reading "The Anarchy" by William Dalrymple - it gives a good flavour of the period/region.
I want to play an Elephant - anyone got any idea of some rules to cope with one?

Andy J.

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

I’ve found playing an elephant is difficult. The finger holes are too far apart and it’s difficult to keep it in tune.