Where do you measure from?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

paulmackowick

Where do you measure from?

Post by paulmackowick » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:46 pm

When moving or firing from a group, where do you measure from? is there a certain figure or place that is at one of the tape measure?

BaronVonWreckedoften

Re: Where do you measure from?

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Thu Dec 26, 2019 6:12 pm

Firing - I usually measure from the centre of the firing group to the target to check if the entire group is within range; otherwise, I would measure from each base to the target to see how many of the group are within range, and then roll the apprpriate number of dice.

Movement - again, usually from the centre of the moving group for an ordinary move; however, for something like fisticuffs or where a group has to make contact with an object or another group (eg a wall to benefit from cover), check how far the base that moves the furthest has to go to see if everyone in the group reaches the objective.

Of course, there's nothing to stop you and your opponent organising a "house" rule that if the majority of a group are in range/able to reach, then the whole group is deemed to be.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Captain Reid

Post by Captain Reid » Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:15 pm

As the Baron says, for firing purposes, figures should determine range and line of sight on an individual basis (though it's often easier to go with a 'majority verdict' when determining ranges).

For Fisticuffs, only one man in a Group needs to make it into base contact, so closest is fine (except sometimes when dealing with Formations). But again, it's usually worth considering whether 'closest model' is reasonable in the particular circumstances that may pertain - usually the answer will be 'yes', but not always
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:54 pm

Captain Reid wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 7:15 pm
For Fisticuffs, only one man in a Group needs to make it into base contact, so closest is fine (except sometimes when dealing with Formations).
Thanks - I'd forgotten about that.

(I did think about: "Well done, Wilson - I was wondering who'd be first to spot that deliberate mistake!" but thought better of it...... :lol: )
No plan survives first contact with the dice.