Attacking/Defending bridges

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

kgorton

Attacking/Defending bridges

Post by kgorton » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi everybody, new poster long time lurker.
Does anybody have any help or house rules on how to play attacking and defending bridges. I would like to play a scenario where the British defend and the French attack a bridge in the peninsular war. thanks in anticipation

Captain Reid

Re: Attacking/Defending bridges

Post by Captain Reid » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:21 pm

I'd set it up with only part of the British force on the table. These would be the bridge guards. Perhaps 3 Groups of Line plus either a Group of Skirmish Troops or a Group of cavalry.

Say: Leader II, Leader I, 3 Groups of 8 line, Leader II, 1 Group of 6 Light Infantry Skirmishers.

I'd play the table longways with the bridge just inside the French half of the table. One Group of British must start on the French side of the Bridge and at least 9" from the bridge (forward picket). The others must start on the British side of the bridge and inside a conveniently placed house or two no further than about 9" from the bridge (but not too close to it either).

Have the French as, perhaps:

Leader III, drummer, Leader I, 4 Groups of Conscripts, Leader II, Leader I, 4 Groups of Conscripts, Leader II, 2 Groups of Voltigeur Skirmishers, Leader I, 1 light gun, Secondary Deployment Point. Or swap out 4 Groups of Conscripts for 2 of Dragoons.

The British should have a relief force of, say, Leader III, drummer, Leader I, 3 Groups of Line, Leader II, 2 Groups of Light Infantry Skirmishers

The relief force may not begin to enter until the turn following the first shots are fired. The British line troops may not leave their billets until a French Unit has been sighted.

Something like that. I'd note that the classic 'British defend', does tend to play to their strengths a bit, so you need to be careful not to make it too easy for them to just stand and volley down the approaching French columns
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:14 am

While the good Captain Reid has given you an excellent and interesting scenario to fight, if you are looking for house rules to cover the physical attack on a bridge itself, then I don’t think you need any. The existing rules for movement in confined spaces and buildings (page 37) should cover it, while section 7.2, page 53, on Fisticuffs in buildings, etc, should be able to be adapted to your needs. Meanwhile Chapter 10 on Tasks ought to give you material for blocking/unblocking bridges or blowing them up.

John

kgorton

Post by kgorton » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:51 am

Captain Reid,
Thank you for your reply I will try this out to see how it goes. On another matter could you give me a link to the signal tower that you made as I seem to have lost it. |Regards Kevin.

bandrsntch

Post by bandrsntch » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:48 pm

Here's a couple of examples I did for attacking/Defending a bridge. All were quite a bit of fun.
http://westsoundwarriors.blogspot.com/2 ... ridge.html

http://westsoundwarriors.blogspot.com/2 ... -2018.html