Firing from a Cover = +1

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Bert

Firing from a Cover = +1

Post by Bert » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi
In the Firing Adjustments there is :

"Irregulars Skirmisher firing from a cover at effective or long range : +1"

I probably understand this sentence differently (english is not my first language).How can you get an advantage of +1 when shooting from behind a wall ? (and why only Irregulars Skirmishers ?)
I'm not sure I understand this situation. What does that mean exactly ?

Thks

Bertrand

Captain Reid

Re: Firing from a Cover = +1

Post by Captain Reid » Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:51 pm

In the overall context of Skirmish Troops, it makes sense.

Light Infantry gain +1 at all ranges. This represents them taking careful shots whatever the proximity of the enemy.

Skirmishers gain +1 when firing over close range. This represents their careful aiming when the enemy is not too close. At short range, they become nervous and their aim suffers.

Irregular Skirmishers gain +1 only at effective or long range and when in cover. They only feel comfortable when protected and when the enemy is a goodly distance away.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

mellett68

Post by mellett68 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:09 pm

Captain Reid wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:51 pm
In the overall context of Skirmish Troops, it makes sense.

Light Infantry gain +1 at all ranges. This represents them taking careful shots whatever the proximity of the enemy.

Skirmishers gain +1 when firing over close range. This represents their careful aiming when the enemy is not too close. At short range, they become nervous and their aim suffers.

Irregular Skirmishers gain +1 only at effective or long range and when in cover. They only feel comfortable when protected and when the enemy is a goodly distance away.
Nicely summed up. I'll admit it took me a couple of reads to make that connection between the bonus and quality of skirmisher.

Bert

Post by Bert » Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:55 am

Ok thank's for the explanation.
I am not an expert in the art of musket shooting and formations but I wonder why Line troops couldn't be so effective, careful, comfortable, etc.. (even while being Elite).

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:32 am

Bert wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:55 am
Ok thank's for the explanation.
I am not an expert in the art of musket shooting and formations but I wonder why Line troops couldn't be so effective, careful, comfortable, etc.. (even while being Elite).
Basically because line troops in formation weren't expected to use aimed fire. The drills they used emphasised firing volleys as quickly as possible to maximise the amount of lead being sent in the general direction of the enemy given the innacuracy of the weapons being used. Skirmish troops on the other hand were expected to use individual fire rather than volleys.

Within the rules the use of the Present command and the firing of Controlled Volleys, with the +1 to hit that gives, reflects trained Line troops, Elite or otherwise, with good fire discipline using careful, measured volleys under the control of their officers producing slower but hopefully more effective fire.

John