Ambuscade question

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

jshaw1515

Ambuscade question

Post by jshaw1515 »

Can a unit launch an ambuscade against a target unit that is not in its LOS, for example, launch an ambuscade against a unit over 12" away in woods?

Captain Reid

Re: Ambuscade question

Post by Captain Reid »

I think so. A general principle of the SP (and CoC) is that a deployed unit's general whereabouts is known to the enemy.

However it's the sort oof thing I'd generally take on a case by case basis, but with the starting presumption being 'yes'
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

I agree - the DP only indicates the approximate position of the unit deploying, so provided its actual deployment point (which can be anything from 6-18” or more closer to the enemy, depending on troop type) is within LOS of the target, I don’t see why not - that’s the whole idea of an ambush.

Snotty

Post by Snotty »

That's what i love about using woodland indians. Deploy 12" from their moveable DP then move 3d6 into contact and hack the enemy. Surprises the hell out of the opponent, much like a real ambush ;)

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Snotty wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:29 am
That's what i love about using woodland indians. Deploy 12" from their moveable DP then move 3d6 into contact and hack the enemy. Surprises the hell out of the opponent, much like a real ambush ;)
It's not quite that simple. Any unit deploying onto the table cannot be placed within 12" of any enemy unit already deployed. So you need to roll above average on your 3D6 for the Indians to get into contact even with Ambuscade.
Often it's better to move 2D6 then fire causing double shock then charge next turn if the cards go your way.

John

jshaw1515

Post by jshaw1515 »

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have posted a new question about moving into contact, which is actually what prompted this question about ambuscades.