Step out question

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

custosarmorum

Step out question

Post by custosarmorum »

Just a quick question on step out -- can it be combined with Ambuscade, Tally Ho!, and the free action of skirmishers to add an extra d6 of movement?

In the case of Tally Ho!, a unit of, say British Light Dragoons, could (at the gallop) cover 5d6 + 9, on average more than two feet. This is quite significant on a 6x4 table (I do understand terrain might play a role in limiting that.).

Thanks!

Captain Reid

Re: Step out question

Post by Captain Reid »

I'd say:

Ambuscade: possibly. Though I tend to think that the intent is 'no' because Rich Clarke has ruled with regard to cavalry and Ambuscade that it's just 3d6 movement, regardless of their speed (however, just me, I'd say yes and I'd allow cavalry to move at the Canter/Gallop with appropriate movement bonuses regardless of authorial intent).

Tally Ho!: I'd say no because Tally Ho! is already giving a cards-granted extra dice of movement.

Skirmish Troop's: yes, absolutely - otherwise they wouldn't have a Step Out rating - it'd be useless to them.
The climate crisis has already been solved. We already have all the facts and solutions. All we have to do is to wake up and change. - Greta Thunberg

The Saindoux Campaign, French & Indian War blog

Cerro Manteca, Peninsular War blog.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I'd say no you can't combine it with other card driven characteristics. Yes to skirmishers adding it to their usual movement allowance.

John

custosarmorum

Post by custosarmorum »

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the responses. I am inclined to not allow the step out plus other card-driven added movement characteristics as well.

I appreciate the prompt and cogent replies.