Campaign moderation tools and tips please/

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

pauljamesog

Campaign moderation tools and tips please/

Post by pauljamesog »

Having enjoyed a couple of small FIW era Campaigns a few years ago when D&D first came out, I am about to Moderate for a couple of mates during the Peninsula campaign. This will be my first time Moderating vice playing and I am keen to give them a thematic experience with fog of war aspects and frictions.I am looking forward to doing it, and want to get it right.

I would appreciate any advice regarding online tools that might help me not get things muddled, or indeed any tips form other campaign moderators on how to best thematically "DM" a campaign.

many thanks,
Paul
Paul
Sydney, Australia

http://tasmancave.blogspot.com.au

bandrsntch

Re: Campaign moderation tools and tips please/

Post by bandrsntch »

Have you looked at the Dawns & Departures book from TooFatLardies? Lots of good ideas and tools to run a campaign in there.

Peter

Post by Peter »

I'm sure Dawns and Departures is the D&D of which Paul speaks...

pauljamesog

Post by pauljamesog »

Indeed so - apologies for any confusion
Paul
Sydney, Australia

http://tasmancave.blogspot.com.au

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I'm not aware of any online tools as such, but you might want to check out some of the material and reports which David Hunter (Captain Reid) has published on Facebook from his SP events. Or read his AARs on here for his Saindoux Campaign if you are looking for inspiration.

For my narrative campaigns I usually sketch out a very brief storyboard of outline scenarios or overall narrative I want to generally follow, but allow the games and players to influence events. So if an important character is captured I might intersperse a rescue scenario rather than carry on regardless.

John

Munin

Post by Munin »

Honestly, one of the most important jobs you'll encounter as moderator is just keeping track of where everything is at any given moment, especially if both sides are using detachments, scouting cavalry, exploring officers, etc. A really easy way to do that is to make your "map" and "pieces" in something like PowerPoint. Each game turn, you duplicate the most recent slide in the deck, move the "pieces" appropriately, and save it to represent the current game state. This has the added benefit of giving you a turn-by-turn "log" of the game's progress.

A note on maps: in the Napoleonic era, accurate maps were a largely foreign concept. Even as late as the American Civil War, mapping wasn't an exact science, and wasn't widely or consistently applied. It's why local guides were so important when moving units around. Part of Stonewall Jackson's success in the Shenandoah Valley Campaign was that he actually had accurate maps from which to work, while the Union army did not. You may want to consider doing something where most of the spots on the map are either blank or inaccurate (maybe put in major features like mountains or hills). Each side can see only the adjacent map squares, maybe one farther if they're on a hill. This will add to the "fog of war" effect and make scouting more important.