First Anglo-Afghan War

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

AlexM

First Anglo-Afghan War

Post by AlexM »

Hey gents,

I've tried searching, but we seem short on First Anglo Afghan War lists...Has there been anything out there that I've missed?

Thanks in advance,

Alex
AlexM

Re: First Anglo-Afghan War

Post by AlexM »

Thought I'd check in on this again, see if anyone had done anything in the last 9 months.
bandrsntch

Post by bandrsntch »

Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

bandrsntch wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:20 am Have you seen this web page: http://rabbitsinmybasement.blogspot.com ... s-for.html
Looks like James the blogger uses this for later 19th Century NWF (post 2nd Anglo-Afghan War?)

I found an AAR of an earlier Afghans vs Sepoys with SP1. But fairly limited info re: lists.
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

Capt Fortier wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:48 pm
bandrsntch wrote: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:20 am Have you seen this web page: http://rabbitsinmybasement.blogspot.com ... s-for.html
Looks like James the blogger uses this for later 19th Century NWF (post 2nd Anglo-Afghan War?)

I found an AAR of an earlier Afghans vs Sepoys with SP1. But fairly limited info re: lists.
That SP1 report seemed to be based on a variant that had its own Yahoo group called "War without Mercy" that unfortunately will have probably vanished into the ether with the other yahoo groups.

I am thinking about this myself and I think the best option would be to try making suggestions here in the forum and evolving the lists that way, as I don't get the obsession with 'official' lists that a lot of people have. If you have researched a particular war you might well know it better than Richard Clarke does as he only has so much capacity to cover all the different things the Lardies do.
Capt Fortier

Post by Capt Fortier »

I had another look around and found someone doing First Anglo-Sikh War. See: http://gapagnw.blogspot.com/ (blogger is RogerC) for some AARs and lovely looking figures. I couldn't find any lists they were using, so have asked RogerC if he would be open to sharing. This would at least give a guide on the British side.

To give some indication of the kinds of forces involved, one of the AARs had:
British
Level 2 CinC
Level 2 with two groups of British regulars
Level 2 with three groups of Sepoys
Level 1 with 6 native skirmishers
Level 1 with Native light cavalry
Light gun no commander
and
Sikhs
Level 2 CinC
Level 2 with 2 groups Sikh regular foot
Level 2 with 2 groups Sikh regular foot
Level 1 with 2 groups of Matchlock men
Level 1 with 1 groups Sikhs with big choppers (moveable deployment point)
Level 1 with 2 group Sikh light cavalry
Gun no commander
Capt Fortier

“Frapper l'ennemi, c'est bien. Frapper l'imagination, c'est mieux.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny
sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

I don’t remember seeing any SP lists specifically for First Afghan War but I’m sure the new Iron Duke/Empress figures will revive enthusiasm for the period.

As DaveH says, in the absence of “official Lard-Approved” lists, this forum (rather than FB) is often the best way of getting the ball rolling - it certainly helped me when putting together some ideas for the Fallen Timbers campaign, the Riel Rebellion and, most recently, the New Zealand Wars (the latter still very much work in progress, repeatedly interrupted by real life).

First Afghan War (and, indeed, the Sikh Wars) should translate quite straightforwardly into SP terms, as the troops, weapons and tactics were still essentially Napoleonic.

(I was part of the ‘War Without Mercy’ Group, focused on developing an Indian Mutiny supplement for SP1. Most of the hard work was done by Rolf Gein but the project ran out of steam with the then imminent launch of SP2, but it’s remained a favourite period of mine even if the lists in the core rulebook only scratch the surface - it’s certainly something that still deserves more comprehensive coverage. Too many periods, too little time, unfortunately!)

Simon
RedRowan

Post by RedRowan »

Been looking at the new Iron Duke miniatures myself so will keep an eye on this thread for any news.

Steve
DaveH

Post by DaveH »

I'd have thought for British Empire the Mutiny lists would give a good basis, though of course no rifled muskets back then.

For the Afghans I think there would need to be Clan units for their irregulars as they fit the definition better with fairly constant skirmishing going on and I think the lists would also work for the NW Frontier with the Afghan regulars excluded.
DougM

Post by DougM »

Bit of thread necromancy here, but I wondered if some combination of the Indian Mutiny Badmashes (with Big Choppers) & Muskets (Jezzails) might be worth a look? Perhaps make it mixed weapons so half the group may fire, but count as Clan in first round of Fisticuffs. There is also the issue that Jezzails supposedly outranged and were more accurate than British muskets. 'Good shots'? So lower volume of fire than the equivalent British or Company group. Probably Prominent Leader, and if skirmishing, Tactical and movable Deployment Point as well!

It also feels like the Afghan Cavalry, many equipped with lances, some with armour, could be a toss-up between Impact cavalry and Irregular cavalry?
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------