War of the roses, SP v2

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Chaingun

Re: War of the roses, SP v2

Post by Chaingun » Thu May 02, 2019 12:26 pm

This looks very interesting, I will enjoy reading this.

Would it be possible to get this as a sticky to the forum and that way it won’t get lost in time to come. 😁👍
https://battlebunkerblog.com Wargaming for fun :D

Fluffy05

Post by Fluffy05 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:27 am

Thank you so much for sharing this.

We love Sharp Practice 2 and we will put this to good use in our gaming group!

hendrik

Post by hendrik » Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:46 pm

After playtesting the sharp practice war of the roses variant a bit myself we noticed we had an issue with shock,a s well as armour in cover (it got a bit too complicated..).

Inspired by the conversation I had with Rich and Nick at Crisis I've decided to add a bit of extra flavour to it and added the "loyaute me lie" option for leaders in a way to keep non-missile troops to keep on going.

I've also changed armour a bit so as to avoid the funny incidents that happened when armoured troops were put into light cover. O
I've also formated the whole document a bit so as to make it easier for possible official TFL publishing :)

Please let me know how it goes for playtesting, as feedback is highly appreciated, and the lardies have shown interest in it!

You can find the updated version below:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i0sFX ... ZcHo5XIQVa

DougM

Post by DougM » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:04 am

Thanks for this. Interesting stuff. It is also worth noting that a WotR variant would also be eminently suitable for playing out Game of Thrones armies. (Not that I am suggesting you need to add Direwolves and dragons..)

In relation to archery, my reading suggests that the number of highly skilled archers available was quite limited, and that the armour had improved to the point where archery was less effective than previously. And a lot of arrows would have been deflected by armour to be harmless. (If you read accounts, for example though not quite in period, at Flodden, dismounted nobles continued the advance with multiple arrows sticking out of them.) So unarmoured troops like Kerns were highly vulnerable to archery, troops with good armour, much less so.

Again, thanks for the hard work putting this together.
---------------------------------------------
https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/
---------------------------------------------

abikapi2

Post by abikapi2 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:31 am

hendrik wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:46 pm
After playtesting the sharp practice war of the roses variant a bit myself we noticed we had an issue with shock,a s well as armour in cover (it got a bit too complicated..).

Inspired by the conversation I had with Rich and Nick at Crisis I've decided to add a bit of extra flavour to it and added the "loyaute me lie" option for leaders in a way to keep non-missile troops to keep on going.

I've also changed armour a bit so as to avoid the funny incidents that happened when armoured troops were put into light cover. O
I've also formated the whole document a bit so as to make it easier for possible official TFL publishing :)

Please let me know how it goes for playtesting, as feedback is highly appreciated, and the lardies have shown interest in it!

You can find the updated version below:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i0sFX ... ZcHo5XIQVa
Are the blows in "Effect of hits" cumulative (if I receive 2 blows and I need 3 for remove a figure, next shot I need only one)?
Do the "Effect of hits" works also for Fisticuffs?

Thank You
Stefano

hendrik

Post by hendrik » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:58 pm

Good catch abikapi, blows aren't cumulative, so in order to outright kill the creme de la creme, eg a man at arms in full armour your archers will need to score 4 blows in a single volley (previous version it was only 3, but i had some issues with unarmoured models in cover leading to loopholes.). Maybe they are a bit over the top now, so we'll have to do some playtesting on that matter.

On archery i'd say that overall there was still a high quality standard. (I'm talking general europe too). In fact, a lot of towns made weekly archery practice mandatory.
I've now included 3 types,4 if you count peasants with longbows) to represent various types of archers, starting at the bottom and leading up to the elite ducal guard for example.
Tod and toby recently did an amazin study on the effzcts of the longbow vs an early 15th century breastplate, confirming my beliefs on how effective armour was vs armour yet they too stress that if you have enough arrows coming towards you, they'll always find an opening (as a reanactor i too can confirm this!)

edit: here's the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBxdTkddHaE&t=1444s

abikapi2

Post by abikapi2 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:12 pm

And what about armour saving in Fisticuffs?

hendrik

Post by hendrik » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:38 pm

abikapi2 wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:12 pm
And what about armour saving in Fisticuffs?
Exactly the same, but i'll have to redo the wording i guess

abikapi2

Post by abikapi2 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:51 pm

Now it's all clear,

Thank You.
Stefano

hendrik

Post by hendrik » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:31 pm

Updated some unclear bits here and there, and added in some irish lads!