War of the roses, SP v2

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Archdukek

Re: War of the roses, SP v2

Post by Archdukek » Tue Dec 24, 2019 12:51 pm

For what it’s worth your “Blow” mechanic is similar to how casualties are inflicted in the Lion Rampant rules with each armour class requiring that number of hits for a figure to be removed. It seems to work there and is accepted by players. A key difference though is that in LR all successful hits are counted when calculating casualties, there is no roll for effect table to dilute the number of killing blows nor any concept of Shock.

John

hendrik

Post by hendrik » Tue Dec 24, 2019 7:11 pm

You are correct archduke, and i took the mechanic from there. Overall it's a very good way to include armour without having to roll extra dice like in other games. This to me,made it easy to implement on the sharp practice gaming system

dan97526

Post by dan97526 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:22 pm

Thanks for your work, and for sharing it. I look forward to trying this, although I have SPv1.

A question, Reading through the Escape to Cock Lane scenario, in the Lancastrian force there is a unit of "polearm men" as well as a unit of billmen. I don't find the polearm men unit type in the The Army Lists, section 10. Did I miss something?

Thanks,
Dan

hendrik

Post by hendrik » Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:55 pm

Hi Dan! you're correct, as i didn't really look into those original scenarios i've missed that. either way use the same statline for them, as hallberds and the english bill work pretty similar to my knowledge.
We're currentlyy stuck playing martlet(scenario 3) so we won't change the table layout. If we finally can break through we can go back to playtesting these new proposals

Groupe_Franc

Post by Groupe_Franc » Sun Jan 12, 2020 7:42 pm

What a piece of work! I'm impressed by your expertise! Being a typical gamer, it's now time to get greedy. Have you considered how to include war wagons in your system? Thanks to the Hussites, they enjoyed a certain popularity in Central Europe in the 2nd half of the 15th century. Just wondering....

hendrik

Post by hendrik » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:45 pm

haha, i actually even designed and made some MDF lasercut warwagons! you could treat those as breastworks I guess, given that the wagon fortress had to be formed up prior to battle? is there a reason not to treat them as terrain pieces?

dan97526

Post by dan97526 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:10 pm

Thank you, sir. I realized some time after I wrote this that the scenarios are from the Christmas Special that introduced the variant, and you weren't to blame! :D
hendrik wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:55 pm
Hi Dan! you're correct, as i didn't really look into those original scenarios i've missed that. either way use the same statline for them, as hallberds and the english bill work pretty similar to my knowledge.
We're currentlyy stuck playing martlet(scenario 3) so we won't change the table layout. If we finally can break through we can go back to playtesting these new proposals