SP2 FPW rooster

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Baliusd

SP2 FPW rooster

Post by Baliusd »

I found a FPW article for SP1 is there one for SP2?

Capt Fortier

Re: SP2 FPW rooster

Post by Capt Fortier »

I don't believe so - see: Franco-Prussian War
Capt Fortier

“Un optimiste, c'est un homme qui plante deux glands et qui s'achète un hamac.” - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

Sad that this period has been eggs-cluded from SP2. I would have thought there would be a scramble to write something for it, but perhaps everyone is too chicken to attempt it? If feather there was a good time, it must be now with the Perrys planning French and Prussian infantry in plastic......
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

Well the weaponry is different with greater use of breechloaders and rifled artillery, but I think the real challenge is that the FPW sees a significant change in infantry tactics from those practiced in the rest of the Black Powder period covered by SP2. So simply producing an army list wouldn’t be sufficient, some significant rule changes are probably needed too.

In some respects it might almost be easier to adapt “Through the Mud and the Blood” backwards from WW1 than push SP2 forwards.

John

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

As John says, the big difference is the adoption of new infantry tactics following the universal adoption of breech loading rifles. Not so difficult to adapt the rules given the small scale actions that SP represents, but the scenario has to ensure the game doesn’t degenerate into a long range fire fight. I included some ideas in my articles on the 1885 Riel Rebellion (Lard Special 2019).

Maybe a case of “write it yourself and they will come”, especially with the forthcoming Perry releases?

It’s one of those wars which, like the Crimea, seems to lend itself better to ‘big battle’ games rather than skirmishes, and there are plenty of other more colourful small European wars that would be more appealing - Garibaldi in Italy springs to mind, for example.

Simon

BaronVonWreckedoften

Post by BaronVonWreckedoften »

sjwalker51 wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:31 pm
It’s one of those wars which, like the Crimea, seems to lend itself better to ‘big battle’ games rather than skirmishes, and there are plenty of other more colourful small European wars that would be more appealing - Garibaldi in Italy springs to mind, for example.
Do you think so? I've always seen the "big battle" approach with the Crimea as just Napoleonics with one side having better muskets - and that's before you get to the stunningly limited choice of actual, errr...."big battles". For me, gaming the Crimea is either about skirmishing cavalry (if you can find the right figures) or bad weather infantry melees with everyone in greatcoats and lots of scope for confusion (again, if you can find the right figures). I believe Arthur Harman (blessings be upon his name) did a "foggy" version of Andy Callan's "Forest Fight" rules in an old Wargames Illustrated which, although intended for the Peninsula, could very easily be applied to Inkerman. In fact, Inkerman would make an excellent multi-table SP2 convention game (such as BIG put on), with the option for forces to pass from one table to another.
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 »

Agree with you, Baron - for me, at least, there’s always been plenty of alternatives I’d rather game (in any scale) to the Crimea, Tennyson notwithstanding. No real idea why - no particular book or film that inspired me enough, maybe, but I’m usually one of the easiest to convince that something is the latest ‘must do’ project!