28mm Cavalry Basing: Pill or Round?

Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

Levi the Ox

28mm Cavalry Basing: Pill or Round?

Post by Levi the Ox »

Hello Sharp Practicers! After getting into TFL through Chain of Command I'm now expanding into it's older sibling, Sharp Practice, as well!

Having done most of my gaming in smaller scales since leaving Warhammer 40k behind many years ago, and my few 28mm+ forays since tending towards those periods and settings where the "empty battlefield" was the rule, I am somewhat at a loss as to how best base the cavalry that will soon arrive in my mailbox.

I distinctly remember the old scheme of rectangular 25x50mm bases, but on the few occasions that I did field them I always felt that they were quite closely packed in formations and prone to falling to either side, sometimes with a domino-like effect! The more recent "pill" bases these days are more visually pleasing and match my plans for round-based infantry, but I doubt they will be any more stable, and that is a major factor as my terrain preferences include varied elevation as a rule.

I have seen examples of individual cavalry mounted on larger circular bases, in the vicinity of 40-50mm, with the head and tail protruding slightly and plenty of room on either side. Also the occasional larger oval (not pill) that is the full length of the horse but still widens for stability.

I am curious if any of you have experience with cavalry based with these wider footprints, and have any advice or thoughts to share?

bandrsntch

Re: 28mm Cavalry Basing: Pill or Round?

Post by bandrsntch »

40 to 50mm would be to big for 28mm cavalry. I'd go with something about 25mm wide either oval or rectangular. You will want to keep it proportional to how you mount your infantry so about 1-1/2 or 2 infantry figures to one Cavalry figure. Looking at some Tabletop CP SP games on YouTube where they use Cavalry should give you an idea of what to do. Hope this helps.

Munin

Post by Munin »

Are you using sabot bases? I do my Sharp Practice ACW stuff in 15mm, but here's how I handle my cavalry:

That way, they fit into the same sabot-bases I'm using for my infantry:

I would imagine that you could do something similar in 28mm.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

I have used pill bases with my 28mm cavalry for Sharp Practice and don’t find them particularly unstable. They’ve worked fine for me.
I have some cavalry based as pairs on 50mm x 50mm bases for other rules which are more stable and also work for SP but can prove a little awkward if a unit is operating in the more terrain dense environment you tend to find in a skirmish game.

John

Levi the Ox

Post by Levi the Ox »

Hmmm...I'll have to see how the figures measure up when they arrive, and do some experiments. The pill style definitely does look good. I hadn't thought to use sabot bases for cavalry, Munin, that's a nice touch.