Moderators: Laffe, Vis Bellica

sjwalker51

Re: New to SP, some advice.

Post by sjwalker51 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:08 pm

Go for SP2.

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:13 pm

Definitely wait for SP2 for learning the rules, it's quite different in important ways. There are still some good ideas and material in SP1 which you can lift for scenarios later.

If there is the possibility that you might want to use your figures later for bigger battle Napoleonic rules, like General D'Armee, then I would recommend basing your line infantry as singles on 20mm square bases or in pairs on a 40x20mm base and use movement trays rather than sabots. That way you will find it easier to rank them up into the typical 24 figure battalion most of those rules use. You can still use figures on round bases and in sabots for larger games if that is your preferred basing, it's just simpler when they are on squares.

John

Tim Haslam

Post by Tim Haslam » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:22 pm

Thanks.
I’ve just ordered V2 this evening.

Now, a list of possible events please chaps?

Quackstheking

Post by Quackstheking » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:24 am

Head to Partizan on Sunday for a few games of SP plus Richard Clark doing a Halland 1940 CoC game.

Don

Tim Haslam

Post by Tim Haslam » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:52 pm

Sadly I’ll be missing Partizan.
But thanks anyhow.
Turns out one of my club members is an avid SP man, so he’s going to show me the ropes!

Cheers

sjwalker51

Post by sjwalker51 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:07 pm

Where are you based Tim?

Again, we really do need an official “Lardfinder” board here!

Tim Haslam

Post by Tim Haslam » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:09 pm

I’m in Manchester.
I play my games mostly at Element Games in Stockport.
The few historical gamers I know there are considering a SP event in November, I’ll keep the forum posted.

rim66

Post by rim66 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:02 am

There is the Lard Locator at: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit? ... 42%2C0&z=2

Kind regards,

Richard aka Monty Lardo

SchutzenU

Post by SchutzenU » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:40 pm

Hi Tim,
I'm new to the forum but have been playing for awhile.
I went with the Victrix French post 1807 and the Austrian Infantry boxes to start my collection. Great value! I used Perry plastics and metals to add and they fit perfectly. Victrix is adding more to the Napoleonic line, too. Very happy with Perry's!
I find Wargame Foundry and Warlord fits well, too. I don't have any Front Rank, but by all accounts, there should be no issues with scale.
Since SP2 is not a "gamey" experience and scenario driven, paint up what you like. I now have a good number of groups (Line, Skirmishers, 1 artillery piece/side and starting to add light cavalry. For the same reasons you state, I wanted the Napoleonic feel without the expense of a huge army. I plan to add a few groups of Bavarian and other German states to add more diversity to the table top and just starting a Russian force. This way I can game a long period of the continental campaigns. SP2 is perfect, imho. By adding the character traits for leaders and multiple objectives really adds to the narrative? This makes for a more interesting game instead of just pushing units and just blasting each other. This is my favorite game!
Good luck and happy gaming!
Greg

Tim Haslam

Post by Tim Haslam » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:18 pm

Thanks Greg.

I’ve managed to buy some pre painted plastics at a very reasonable price. This gets me a late French force of line, old guard, skirmishers and cavalry. So I’m ready to play.
This gives me time to gain experience whilst considering what to buy and paint myself.

I’m still going to stay in the late’ish napoleonic period for now.
I’m considering Bavarians, or Austrians, purely from a “these look nice” Point of view. Just love those helmets!
I was looking at the official Bavarian list on this forum, in particular the skirmish based force, is this a nice list to play with?