How to model the different levels of leaders?

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Ledfoot65

How to model the different levels of leaders?

Post by Ledfoot65 » Wed May 15, 2019 10:51 pm

I am rebasing my 28mm Napoleonics to use with SP and I am trying to figure out what type of officer is typically represented by each Leader level, eg.. is a L1 leader typically a foot seargent, is a L4 a division general, etc... I realize that exceptional leaders will be rated higher regardless of rank but I am trying to get a feel on what is generally used at each level.

Thanks,
Shawn

Munin

Re: How to model the different levels of leaders?

Post by Munin » Wed May 15, 2019 11:24 pm

It really depends on the force. And sometimes you'll want to have that foot sergeant be L4 and the division general be L1. ;)

bandrsntch

Post by bandrsntch » Thu May 16, 2019 2:56 am

In general, the higher the rank the higher the level. As these are skirmish games they are relatively low level commands. Almost all of our games are run with a Captain or two, a few lieutenants and the rest sergeants. So you could have a Captain at level III, lieutenants at level II and sergeants at Level I.
But think about the Richard Sharpe series. You could have a lower level leader who is smarter than his commanding officer. So you might want to think about what you are looking for in the scenario. For most games its best to have one Level III, one or two Level II's and the rest Level I's per side. We rarely use Level IV's anymore as they seem to be overpowered. For Formations its good to have an Officer and a sergeant. Single Groups never get more than one Leader in my experience although Groups of Light Infantry Skirmishers sometime get an Officer and a sergeant.

There's been a lot of debate about giving Militia Units lower Level Leaders to reflect their poor performance, but it is not required. The Points System helps in balancing things out at far as Leaders. You essentially get what you pay for. Hope this helps

Archdukek

Post by Archdukek » Thu May 16, 2019 8:57 am

As has been said it depends what level your Force represents and on the narrative background, but as an example my French Company has the following mix of Leaders:
Level 1- Sergeant or Sous-Lieutenant fresh to command
Level 2- Lieutenant or veteran Sergeant-Major
Level 3- Captain, usually the Force Commander
Level 4- Major or as required by the scenario. Like bandrsntch says I don't use these in normal games.

And again Status Level needn't match rank if your narrative needs something different, but it can make life easier. Militia leaders might have grand titles but lack the skills and experience to command effectively so would be of lower status for example.

John

Ledfoot65

Post by Ledfoot65 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:47 am

Thanks to everyone!