Points system for generating scenarios

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

sukhe_bator

Points system for generating scenarios

Post by sukhe_bator »

Has there been any discussion about developing a points system for ToTW or other Lardy rulesets to enable scenario creation?
I'm invariably using disparate troop types and equipment in historical scenarios and wondered about the relative merits of costing up defensive/offensive capabilities points etc. particularly when using 'specials' like armoured trains and cars so I can at least say Red force is outnumbered 2:1 with reasonable accuracy... even costing up balanced forces using this sort of system
Any thoughts?
Archdukek

Re: Points system for generating scenarios

Post by Archdukek »

TFL rules don't go in for point systems as such preferring to use historical orbats in scenarios. You may need to apply some trial and error to see what works, especially when using esoteric kit like an armoured train.

However, you might want to take a look at Chain of Command Espana for ways of balancing forces with very disparate capabilities using technology which in some cases is not a million miles away from that seen in the Russian Civil War. Also there might be some potential to apply the CoCulator used to work out Platoon Force Ratings for Chain of Command to work out the relative strength of some units.

At the end of the day you could just count heads or let the loser claim that they faced overwhelming odds but fought gallantly anyway in the name of the Revolution/Tsar whether they did or not. ☺️
sukhe_bator

Re: Points system for generating scenarios

Post by sukhe_bator »

The points system I am devising is a crude tool intended to create balanced scenarios from disparate forces, reflecting not just troop numbers but also mobility, quality and armament. There will be core and special unit listings to select from depending on the scenario, and assets such as defences, trains etc. will be costed based on the number of figures they can shield and the type of armour.