New in this forum, an in this system

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

Theophanes

New in this forum, an in this system

Post by Theophanes »

Hi lads!

I´ve just acquired the game to play Spanish Civil War.
After a rapid reading, I have some question:
First of all: anybady still plays TotW? the board looks abandoned...
I like the rules, fast and original, but I´d like to twist some aspect and know how other fellow players do that.

Regards

Angel.
Archdukek

Re: New in this forum, an in this system

Post by Archdukek »

Hi Angel,
Welcome to the Lard Island Forum.
Triumph of the Will is a very old TFL ruleset and I do not recall ever seeing much traffic about it on here or the old TFL Yahoo Group. I have no idea how much it’s played these days.

I would guess that Spanish Civil War players in this community play either the SCW variant of Chain of Command at platoon level or possibly modified versions of “I Ain’t Been Shot Mum!”. I could be wrong though.

Personally I’ve never played ToTW but one of my regular gaming buddies took some of the ideas in it to modify TFL’s “If the Lord Spares Us” rules for the Soviet-Polish War and Russian Civil War games. They were good fun.

John
Theophanes

Post by Theophanes »

Hi, Archie!

Thank you for your response.

We´ll try the rules here in Spain and I´ll post some pictures and comments in about two weeks.
Randeĺl

Post by Randeĺl »

I've played a few games recently. All Russian Civil War based.
sukhe_bator

Post by sukhe_bator »

I bought ToTW for my RCW wargaming needs, largely on a friend's recommendation based on other TFL rulesets. It seemed to offer all I wanted to recreate that theatre at a time when other rulesets were either too complicated or too generic... I have since branched out into the Mexican Revolution, both in 15mm using predominantly PP figures.
While I haven't played it as yet, I've been creating the movement cards I need as I build up my forces. I have invested a lot of time in the rules but game so rarely that I will be sticking to ToTW until I have tested it thoroughly.
The only tweak I have made is that I don't believe the enemy should be readily aware of the likely capabilities of a unit. This is all too apparent in the number of figures fielded. I have standardised figure stands but keep a record of the variations in elan (or otherwise) separately and have developed a points system for scenarios etc. which I apply.
Mikinton

Post by Mikinton »

Another TotW noob signing in ....

I bought the rules a few days ago with the intention of using them for the Polish-Soviet War, using Strelets and HaT's 20mm figures. I've been looking for a while for rules somewhere between Osprey's "A World Aflame" skirmish rules (?) and Peter Pig's "Square Bashing" rules which seem a bit more suited for the more set-piece type of battle .... and TotW seem to fit the bill.

First up, I'll need to reformat the rules, taking out (for example) anything relating to things like tanks and aircraft. I'll probably give the activation rules some thought as well - maybe a variant of the Bolt Action rules.

As regards scenarios, does anyone have any advice on where to look? I'm trying to get away from the usual thing where each army starts on opposite sides of the table and meet in the middle. Instead, I'm guessing it'll be mainly attack/defense with lots of space for maneuver and off-table flank attacks and reinforcements. And I'll probably draw on Pygmy Wars' army lists a fair bit too. (It was because of Pygmy Wars' recommendation that I bought TotW.)
Archdukek

Post by Archdukek »

We actually prefer to use TFL’s “If the Lord Spares Us” for our Polish-Soviet War games, incorporating some of the flavour rules from TotW, like the use of Cheka units. For us it’s a better fit to the scale of game we like to play in this era. We’ve also used some of the Pygmy Wars material.

John
Mikinton

Post by Mikinton »

Thanks, John. Interesting.

Obviously I'll run with TotW for now, but will likely treat myself to a copy of “If the Lord Spares Us” when I've not spent anything on wargaming for a while. (You know how it is. ;) )
djbamforduk

CHURCHILL’S SECRET WAR WITH LENIN - Clearance Price book.

Post by djbamforduk »

The Naval & Military Press have just advertised that their remaining stock of the following Helion book is being sold off at the clearance price of £5.99 reduced from £29.95:
CHURCHILL’S SECRET WAR WITH LENIN
British and Commonwealth Military Intervention in the
Russian Civil War, 1918-20.
A heavyweight "Helion" hardback with 576 well typeset pages, 203 black & white photographs, 8 maps and 7 tabulated lists.
This title, when released, caused a sensation on the internet forums, with praise being heaped upon the author Damien Wright.
https://www.naval-military-press.com/pr ... r-1918-20/
Kustenjaeger

Post by Kustenjaeger »

A great uncle of mine was wounded in Russia fighting the Bolsheviks - a shell from the supporting barrage for an attack on a village landed short between him and his platoon of (A Coy) 1st Ox & Bucks LI.

Edward