Query re "A Bloody Morning on V Beach"

Moderators: Vis Bellica, Laffe

p.godden

Query re "A Bloody Morning on V Beach"

Post by p.godden »

Can you tell me the size of the table for the scenario, "A Bloody Morning on V Beach", in the Summer Special 2011?

Cheers,
Peter.
Alan Lauder

Re: Query re "A Bloody Morning on V Beach"

Post by Alan Lauder »

Hi all,
I'm eyeing off A Bloody Morning at V Beach (and wasn't it that, indeed) for my Centenary game for April 25th (ANZAC Cove is a bit tricky on the terrain side of things). I'm struggling with scale (as per the previous poster) when I look at the scenario in the 2011 Summer Special.

The map provided is dominated by V Beach (fair enough, too) but with V beach being discussed as being 300 yards long and the ground scale of ITLSU being 1" = 62.5 yards, my rough calculations, given the map provided, are suggesting a table of 18" by 10.25" - a bit small.

Am I getting too hung up on scale? Hard not to be in this business!

I'd welcome any ideas or someone pointing me in the direction of an alternative scenario. Of course I could just include more territory on the table, but given the focus of the scenario on the landing, there does not seem much point in doing that.

Looking forward to a good bit of action with these rules in the next few years. For the record, I'm working in 6mm and just using my roughly 1 1/4" square (30x30mm) based Irregular miniatures for Great War Spearhead II.

Cheers
Alan
Bluesquill

Post by Bluesquill »

Alan. We're in Adelaide and have been doing some planning for the Anzac landing for the 25 th but in 10 mm. To over come the terrain difficulties we got a train layup made with a slightly compressed detail of the immediate cove and the back areas. This is going to be played lengthwise down a 9x5 table with the cove area covering about 18" then the cliffs then the rest of the table out to the further most point reached on day 1. We've made a couple of changes to ITLSU mainly to introduce a second and third type of Australian/New Zealand troop class ( wild colonial boys and swaggies). We've also tinkered with the reinforcement and supply bits to provide more chaos.
We're starting off with the landing boats as blinds ( however given they're all boats this isn't too much of a disadvantage for the Turks).. The principle problem is the same as it was on the day : can the small number of Turks on the cliffs hold up the Anzacs long enough for Kemal et al to get the reserves into the action ( while wondering all the time what the hell is going on down south). We've given ourselves an entire day. A result will depend on how long the beer and pretzels last and who we can convince to go out for re supply.
Alan Lauder

Post by Alan Lauder »

Sorry for the delay I replying. That sounds like its going to be a blast. I hope someone will write it up or post some pics online? With a week to go I can't foresee getting anything much done now (been busy with study, work ... you know those old time wasters!). I'm still painting my Turkish forces - actually been based for Great War Spearhead II but will adapt sort of OK for ITLSU, I believe. I just can't seem to get past the scale issue with V Beach so am thinking I might have a go at working toward an ANZAC Cove landing scenario over the next few weeks. I'm all thinking about the battles for Krithia. Good luck with your huge effort - hope the beer and pretzels hold out! Cheers Alan